Minoru Asano
Frequent Advisor

Regarding zmd process

Hello,

I would like to know regarding ZMD

[ENVIRONMENT]
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10

[SITUATION]
I know that "zmd" process is known as ZENworks Management Daemon.
As customer's requirement, he would like to stop like RHEL's "RHN" function for security reason.
The customer has a plan to use CDROM for any package upgrade.

[QUESTION]
- May we stop "zmd" process ? If so how can we stop the zmd process ?
- May we delete "zmd" package ? if so how can we delete zmd package ?

Thank you for support.
Best Regards.
/Minoru
5 REPLIES 5
Van den Broeck Tijl
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Regarding zmd process

You can still use "zmd" to manage updates from a CDROM instead of internet. The tool to manage this is called "rug". Check the man pages for further usage of it. It's perfectly possible to just insert a CDROM then "rug ref" to refresh and "rug up" to update using the rpm's on the CDROM.

I believe it would be possible to completely disable ZMD, but I don't have knowledge of it's effects on your system (I consider the impact of it's disabling pretty small though).

Packages concerning ZMD I know of: zmd, libzypp-zmd-backend, zmd-inventory, rug,
Minoru Asano
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Thank you for reply and advice.

I understood that we can stop zmd service because we can manage update by using "rug" command.

By the way, why zmd process exist as process ?
And why we can stop zmd service although zmd process is running ?

Thank you for advice.
Best Regards.
/Minoru

Van den Broeck Tijl
Valued Contributor

"I understood that we can stop zmd service because we can manage update by using "rug" command"

Sorry, didn't mean that exactly. Rug is dependant upon zmd (and will automatically start zmd I think). I just posted rug as an argument to keep zmd. But as you said, personally I don't see any reason for a zmd process to be running whilst doing nothing else but consuming resources. Imho it should only run when performing updates.

Perhaps anyone with knowledge of SuSE internals can elaborate these Zenwork mystiques :-)
Minoru Asano
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for quick reply.

Does anybody has other good idea ?

Thank you for advice.
Best Regards.
/Minoru.

Hello,

ZEN is bullshit from Novell ( excuse me my choice of words); it is used to check online for new updates on some Novell sites. BUT it consumes too much system resources to be healthy, so I also removed it from my systems. It does no harm to your system to remove it, but you don't get warnings anymore that new updates are available. You still can update your system with YaST2.
If you go into YaST and select Software Management, you can search for zmd. If you select it, YaST will also select the dependencies and you can safely remove all the zmd software.

Greetings,
Philippe