108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reinstall of OS on K460

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott G. Gallup
Advisor

Reinstall of OS on K460

I am planning to do a complete reinstall of the HP-UX 11.0 OS on a K460. The system has 11.0 on it currently but I want to move the OS files to a new (and larger) disk. My questions:

1) Is there anything special I must do to inform the system that the new primary boot path will be changed?

2) Does anyone know of a list of configuration files that I should keep? Or have any ideas about configuration files that should be saved? I plan on having complete backups of the system prior to the reinstall so I should have everything saved. Just trying to cover all my bases.

TIA.

Scott Gallup
6 REPLIES 6
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Reinstall of OS on K460

Scott,

1)
If you are doing a complete reinstall, the system will change the default boot path for you when you install onto the new disk.

-Josh
What are the chances...
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

If your existing disk will remain on the system after it is reinstalled, then you should be okay. After reinstalling 11.0 on a new disk, it whould correct the boot path to wherever you have installed the OS. Once running on the new OS, you can import the old OS disk under a new VG name and access your old system files from there or have a backup of system files beforehand:

ie.
/etc/?? files
VG configurations
custom dirs and files..

HTH.
Hakuna Matata.
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Scott,

the question is whether you plan to re-install deliberately or whether you would rather not.

Assuming the latter you could either copy the root VG (vg00 usually) to a new vgroot and use that in the future, or you could create an Ignite image on a DDS tape or on an Ignite server and re-install this image onto your larger disks.

If you re-install or recover using Ignite, you do not need to use setboot (-p and -a) to change primary and alternat boot path, Ignite takes care of that.

If you copy the OS to the other disk you would have to use setboot and lvlnboot commands and edit /etc/fstab to use vgroot instead of vg00.

Regards,
Bernhard
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

1. The install will set the boot path for you. Check man setboot.

2. Many and various. As you are installing on a fresh disk, presumably your old root disk(s) will still be connected. If so, then you can import the old root volume group into your new system (as vgold00 or similar) and have direct access to your old filesystems.

Is there any particular reason why you're installing rather than cloning your existing system with ignite?

Regards,
John
Scott G. Gallup
Advisor

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

The main reason(s) for reinstalling is that this is a test machine and over time has had software installed/uninstalled, etc. Basically I was using it to make sure that I knew what I was doing(or rather to improve my sys admin skills).

So I'm done screwing around and want to put the OS on a larger drive that I will be able to mirror. Once the OS is installed and up-to-date then I will be installing the Informix 9.40 IDS software for testing prior to a move of our current production system off of the old Informix SE engine.

I assumed that I would be better off just doing a complete reinstall rather than trying to move stuff around and potentially creating more problems for myself.

Feel free to let me know if I am off base on this.
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Well , a testing system is for testing and research. You may re-install the OS or try removing or moving unnecessary files/filesets from it.

The upgrade/reinstall topics have been discussed here so many times. So if you do a search on this forum, you will get number of ideas about pre-planning, installation steps, backup plans, post-installation tasks etc.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!