4915 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote Print Queues

Dale Edmunds
Frequent Advisor

Remote Print Queues

Hi,

I have to re-configure my HP-UX server (11.11) to send output from an application to a remote Windows 2000 server (remote print queue). The remote Windows server has the TCP/IP Print Service installed and running, and I have set up a number of printers already.

Now I need to change the HP-UX end. I've done some searching and reading, but am still not entirely sure what needs to be done on the Unix server to get the output to the remote Windows machine and then onto the printer. I've added the necessary info to the /etc/hosts file for the W2K box. But I think the next step is to define a local print queue for each destination printer? Or just one queue for the remote W2K server but with every printer defined?

Steps/commands or what to define using SAM would be greatly appreciated.

Also - are there any background process that need to be running?

Many Thanks

dale

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX Technical Documentation to HP-UX > sysadmin. -HP Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Dale,
Please review the documentation below

http://docs.hp.com/en/J2768-90011/ch07s02.html

regards
Mobeen
Dale Edmunds
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Had a read - but that solution uses another piece of software (Nware) in the equation.

I need define a local printer(s) who's output is sent to a remote server.printer name..

Regards

dale
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Dale,
The following is the configuration that needs to be done on the Unix side, can you confirm if you have already done

On the Unix side
-----------------
System V-style printing using lp is the default under Solaris, IRIX, HP-UX, and SCO. All these systems provide packages for lpr. Linux, SunOS, and Digital Unix use BSD-style lpr printing as the default. Consult the system documentation and man pages for instructions on how to configure lpr.

An entry for the print server should be placed in the system's /etc/hosts file. Root privileges are required to edit this file.

To print to the WIN 2000 printer, at the command line, enter the following:

lpr -P print_name filename

Some versions of lpr use a space between the option and the name of the printer, others do not. The lpr man page will contain this information.

rgds
Mobeen
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

have you already tried to define in SAM?
There's one option in the 'Printers and Plotters' area: spooler - Printers and Plotters - 'Add remote Printer'

Just configure Windows server as Remote System.

I don't know if it's different to a UX server, but it's a try worth.

HTH
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Dale Edmunds
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

This was the required bit:

SAM:
--> Printers and Plotters
--> LP Spooler
--> Printers and Plotters

Action --> add remote Printer/Plotter
local printer name
Printserver
Remoteprinter name
OK to save
Try to print to the Win2k server with the lp command.

I then sent some output from the HP-UX server to a remote printer, and the event log on the remote windows server shows the output went via that server.

Many thanks for the help,

Dale