HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Print of File Over 2GB

Puff
Advisor

Remote Print of File Over 2GB

We are having issues printing a file larger than 2GB to a remote print queue. We are running HP-UX 11.31. We have increased the size of /var/spool/lp by creating a mounted FS for it and enabled it for large files. Any help would be great.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Remote Print of File Over 2GB

Like most Unix systems, they started as 32bit OS and filesystems. 2 GB is the largest value that can be represented by 32 bits. So your remote computer cannot handle files larger than 2 GB. Talk to the remote print server administrator to see if this can be increased. If not, get the printer onto the network and forget remote print servers. Print direct to the network printer.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Puff
Advisor

We are getting the following error and the receiving server does not even get contacted by the sending server:

lp: can't access file "file we are sending"
lp: request not accepted
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Ahh...the problem is on your local system. Your /var filesystem is likely not largefile capable. Type this command:

fsadm /var

It will report either: largefiles or nolargefiles

To convert /var to largefiles, use the command:

fsadm -o largefiles /var

You might as well convert all the others that are nolargefiles.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Puff
Advisor

Large files is enabled and there is enough space in /var to handle the print file.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

so, somebody enters something like the following at the commandline:

lp -d this_file

and gets:

lp: can't access file "this_file"
lp: request not accepted"

without changing directories, what does

ls -l this_file

say? lp seems to be complaining that it can't read, or find, the file to process.
Puff
Advisor

I even tried to change the permissions to 777 and it still will not work. Is there a 2G limit for lp? Can not get an answer from HP on this.
Puff
Advisor

Just got the offical word from HP that there is a 2G lp file size limit. We are requesting HP to fix this.
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

From my experience with ERs like this one, don't get your hopes too high for a quick fix. It might take a while. I suggest you investigate alternatives such as splitting your documents, or using an enterprise print spooler instead of LP such as HP Output Server (which, if I'm correct, is the descendant of dazel).

>Is there a 2G limit for lp? Can not get an answer from HP on this.

Using tusc would show this error right away.