108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote Printer Setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joy Conner
Advisor

Remote Printer Setup

Last weekend I set up 2 printers and did something wrong. I am seeking verification of my error. I am running on HPUX 11.11 and did the setup using SAM. The ip address and remote system name; NPI434DFB was added to etc host file. Spooler turned off. The following was input using SAM:
Printer Name: npi434dfb
Remote System Name: NPI434DFB
Remote Printer Name: npi434dfb
Remote printer on a BSD system was not checked.
rcmodel was set as Remote Cancel Model.
rsmodel was set as Remote Status Model.
Default Request Priority was set to 0 (zero)
Allow anyone to Cancel a request was not checked.
Make this Printer the default destination was not checked.

I am having problems printing to this device, and am told I set it up wrong. The only thing I see that can be wrong is the remote Printer Name probably should be all caps like the remote system name. If someone will confirm this or provide different advice, I'd appreciate the help.

I'm not new to unix, but have not been trained in such tasks. Any help will be appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

1st mistake.. using SAM for anything ;)

delete the printer and start over...

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

What OS is running on NPI434DFB?
Joy Conner
Advisor

I am running HPUX 11.11.
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

first it would be interesting what's your problems - no print? Wrong print?
Any error messages?
What does 'lpstat -t' says at the server?

NPI434DFB is your print server?
And npi434dfb is the name of the printer?
I wouldn't give a printer the same name like the print server.
How have you defined the printer at the print server? Only with ip-address?
How is the printer defined in the /etc/hosts?

>Spooler turned off
What do you intend with this?

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Joy Conner
Advisor

the entry added to /etc/hosts file was
IP address and NPI434DFB

Yesterday evening, I deleted the printer and added it back using the same settings except the Remote Printer Name is now all caps; NPI434DFB.

Today I send command to print a file from unix and I get the same behavior I had yesterday.

The printer does print the file. But it is followed by a smiley face character and some characters which are not in the file I printed.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> using SAM...

Actually, for printers, it works well, especially for remote printers (not HP JetDirect network printers). Don't worry about training -- almost none of this relates to unix at all...it is quite unique to HP-UX.

> Printer Name: npi434dfb
> Remote System Name: NPI434DFB
> Remote Printer Name: npi434dfb

Printer Name is the local print queue. This is fine unless you want simpler or more meaningful names. Think of the local printer as an alias name for the network name.

Remote System Name is the hostname or IP address. This is almost always a problem because printer hostnames don't get added to /etc/hosts or the local DNS server. Use the IP address of the printer here.

Remote Printer Name is the most difficult area. It is the print server's internal name for the printer. A "print server" is really the LAN card in this context. Somewhere in the LAN code, there is a printer name. It might be prn or text or raw or lpr ... impossible to tell without documentation from the vendor. More on this later...

> Remote printer on a BSD system was not checked.

100% of all remote printers should be checked as BSD. The only exception is when a local printer is connected to a remote HP-UX system and the remote HP-UX system is acting as a print server.

Now, you may be in luck with the internal printer name. The name: NPI434DFB looks suspiciously like an HP network printer. If so, you can safely delete the existing printer:

lpadmin -x npi434dfb

and simply run this command:

addqueue -q myprinter -h 1.2.3.4 -r off -b off -t off

where: myprinter is whatever you want to call it in HP-UX, and 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of the printer.

That should get you going. If your system wasn't installed completely, you may need to download the HP printer installer package (small).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Joy Conner
Advisor

the output from lpstat -t is in attachment.
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hmmm, why not defining the printer as network printer at your workstation?

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Joy Conner
Advisor

Yesterday evening, I deleted the above printer and added it to the system with BSD system checked.

The printer is still printing out that darn smiley face along with other garbage.

Any other suggestions for change?