Go to solution
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

Re: Remote Printer Setup

Hi,

>Printer Name: npi434dfb
>Remote System Name: NPI434DFB
>Remote Printer Name: npi434dfb

According to this data, and from the printer name I suspect that it's rather about a network printer. Try the following:

# telnet npi434dfb 9100

If you've got answer from that address on port 9100, than it is a jetdirect-compatible network printer. In this case, use the 'network printer' menu in SAM.

Regards,
Viktor
Unix operates with beer.
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

What is your printer model? Is it HP printer or printer that is capable to read through port 9100 ?
Regards
Shibin
Joy Conner
Advisor

The printer is HP laser jet model P1606dn. I don't know how to tell about port 9100.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>The printer is HP laser jet model P1606dn. I don't know how to tell about port 9100.

You will have problems with this PC printer:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ie/en/sm/WF06b/18972-18972-3328059-3328066-3328066-4110408-4110411.html
Host-based printing, HP PCL 5e

Host-based won't work unless you use remote printing to Windows.

Standard connectivity: Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port, 10/100 Ethernet networking
Optional connectivity: HP Jetdirect ew2500 802.11g Print Server

I'm not sure if port 9100 works withtou the optional Jetdirect.
Joy Conner
Advisor

The optional JetDirect is included in the printer.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> The printer is HP laser jet model P1606dn. I don't know how to tell about port 9100.

As Dennis mentions, the P1606dn is host-based which is a market-speak term that means and very complicated driver is needed because the printer is very cheap and has no internal formatting capability. HP-UX (and any other OS not mentioned in Dennis's reference above) has no driver for these types of printers. They are designed ONLY for the PC and Mac computers.

> port 9100...

This is the standard port for HP JetDirect LAN cards. However, it is unimportant since HP-UX can't send anything to this printer. As Dennis said, you might be able to connect this printer to a PC, enable Unix printing support on the PC and then configure the printer as a remote printer for simple ASCII printing (very few options).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>The optional JetDirect is included in the printer.

Ok. That won't help with the "Host-based printing". You need to configure it as remote.

As I asked above:
What OS is running on NPI434DFB?

It needs to be Windows/Mac/Linux.
Joy Conner
Advisor

< What OS is running on NPI434DFB?

NPI434DFB is the default name of the print server that came with the printer.

- Joy
Joy Conner
Advisor

I need to comment that the printer works when connected directly to PC and as a Windows network printer.

The HP printer is set up on HPUX 11.11 system as a remote printer and when printing a small file directly from HPUX using command cat | lp -dnpi434dfb, the printer prints the contents in plus some garbage characters.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>NPI434DFB is the default name of the print server that came with the printer.

That is for a network printer. You need remote printer and that needs the name of a Windows box for a remote server.

>I need to comment that the printer works when connected directly to PC and as a Windows network printer.

Of course. Windows has a complex printer driver. HP-UX has none.

>remote printer and when printing a small file directly from HP-UX, the printer prints the contents in plus some garbage characters.

And you are listing the NPI434DFB as the server? I'm surprised you even get that must output.

Perhaps your JetDirect card doesn't know your printer is host based and should reject input direct from HP-UX? :-)