108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote Printing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert True
Frequent Advisor

Remote Printing

Anyone know how to assign a remote printer to print to a remote system on a particular tcp port #

ie: Ip 10.1.2.3 port #3001

7 REPLIES 7
Jordan Bean
Honored Contributor
Solution

Remote printers only use port 515.

Would you happen to be using a Lantronix printer server?

Robert True
Frequent Advisor

Naw, it is a Citrix server, and the longer I try to explain what the remote end says, the more convinced I am that the citrix guy doesn't know what he needs to set up. He should estab. the printer mapings and tell me the names to print to, not different port #s. His daemon should listen on port# 515 the same as mine. Thanks for the responce.
Jordan Bean
Honored Contributor

Is it necessary to printer through the Citrix layer? Whatever the platform, I'd insist on running a LPD daemon. If the Citrix server is running on W2k, then the admin needs to install/enable the internet printer service. If on HP-UX, then [you] can enable the rlpdaemon. Or does Citrix monkey with everything to make it more difficult?
Robert True
Frequent Advisor

Yes, got to go through the Citrix, its a RAS type of issue. Just have to wait until our Citrix guy gets back to tell the remote end how to set the mapping up.
Jordan Bean
Honored Contributor

Ah. Well, I'm interesting in knowing how this is done just in case we have to provide the same printing solution here through our Metaframe farms on W2k. (Ugh.)
Rich Wright
Trusted Contributor

If you try the following test, does it work?

telnet 10.1.2.3 3001
TEST MESSAGE
^L
^]
quit

If it works and prints a page with "TEST MESSAGE", then you can modify a new or existing jetadmin defined printer file (/etc/lp/interface/) changing xPORT= to xPORT="-p 3001".

This would be configured as a network printer and not a remote printer.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Just a note about JetAdmin utilities: they are designed for HP's JetDirect products so the protocol used over the socket connection must match HP's protocol. This is a case where "network printer" has a very different meaning than "remote printer". A remote printer is RFC 1179 which most Unices and some Windows versions do support. And for non-JetDirect cards/adapters, RFC 1179 (port 515) is implemented to appear as if it is actually a computer with a locally attached printer.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin