New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote mount

SOLVED
Go to solution
haeman
Frequent Advisor

Remote mount

I would like to mount windows from Debian server ,

I use the command mount -t ext3 -o username="...", password="..." windows_path/path local_path,

it pops the below messages :
mount: special device //windows_path/pathdoes not exist ,

I use the same command in another RH server ( with -t cifs ) , it is OK to mount , can advise what is wrong in my server ? thx
8 REPLIES 8
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You are specifying a file system type that is not SMB (windows). For -t option, you have to use "smb" or "cifs".
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
elainelaw
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Hi Ivan ,

I tried many types of filesystem includes the two you said , but it pops that the system is not supported .

"wrong fs type, bad options , bad superblocks on //windows_path , missing codepages or other errors .
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

yes u r giving filesystem is wrong. For windows its "vfat" not "ext3". ext3 is for linux only.
elainelaw
Occasional Contributor

thx reply ,

I also tried -t vfat , but the error is still "mount: special device //windows_path/path does not exist " , I know cifs is common with mount package , if I want the system supports the file system type "cifs" , what can i do ? thx
elainelaw
Occasional Contributor

thx ,

it seems my system is not support cifs and smbfs file system type , can advise how can I make my system supports these file system type without re-compile the kernel ? thx
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

for mounting u don't need SMB its for sharing linux files on windows. for that u need to install samba server and add user to it. see below
http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1220090

whats the file system u r trying to mount is it NTFS?
scanepa

Are you trying to mount local Windows file system or remote?

In the first case:
1) mount -t ntfs ...
or
2) ntfs-3g

The second it's better and enables write as default

In the second case:
1) install smb client software (don't have my Debian box here now so can suggest the correct package name)
2) try smbmount ...

Bye
sc
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

You'll need to install the "smbfs" package.

The easiest commands to do that would be either:

aptitude install smbfs

or

apt-get install smbfs

MK
MK