108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Remote printer prints two copies of the same JOB

SOLVED
Go to solution
Saurabh Rawat
Advisor

Remote printer prints two copies of the same JOB

Hi I have a printer defined on HP UNIX system which is remote to windows server but when any job is given to print it gives two prints of every job. I dont know what's wrong with it. I have checked on OS level and everything is fine. or is there any parameter which needs to be changed at UNIX level b''coz at the printer settings everything is alright with physical printer.
Insanity is often the logic of mind overtasked!!!
1 REPLY 1
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Remote printer prints two copies of the same JOB

Unless someone has changed your HP-UX printer scripts, the problem is likely at the Windows box. While Windows may print OK, the setup to allow Unix remote printing (lpr) is probably wrong. Do you have any other Unix boxes printing to this Windows server?

Have you checked that a simple lp of /etc/profile also prints 2 copies? If lp works, then you may have an application problem. This can be verifies by disabling the printer i=on the HP-UX side, print something, then cd into the request directory (/var/spool/lp/request) and look under the printer's name. There is a control file (starts with "c", look at the line that start with K -- this is the copy count. If it says K2 then the job was created with lp -n 2 which means copy count=2.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin