7051 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Required kernel options

Kamal_12
Advisor

Required kernel options

Hi everybody.
Here is the desperate oracle dba fighting with system administration on Tru64 5.1A PK6 and very little time to do it.

Can anyone point me to an explanation of the kernel options that "doconfig" shows?
I'd choose only 12 (ISO 9660 Compact Disc File System (CDFS)) and maybe 1 (System V Devices).
Is 9 (Data Link Bridge (DLPI V2.0 Service Class 1)) required for network to work and 10 (X/Open Transport Interface (XTISO, TIMOD, TIRDWR)) required for X to work?

Thank you in advance.

Kamal
10 REPLIES 10
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

admin guide delivered on the online documentation cd?

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

> Here is the desperate oracle dba fighting with system administration on Tru64 5.1A PK6 and very little time to do it.

Pick a different battle! Just allow the sysadmin to configure with all options. This goes against my personal nature, but it is just not worth the time to fight about it, and if you ever leave out a feature that you needed after all then you lost all credibility.

Just focus on getting the rigth tools to do the Oracle DBA work. Get your sysadmin to do GH (granularity hints in sysconfig vm), or better still: bigpages!. Be sure that ipc shmmax and friends are set big enough, inet tpcnodelack=1, vfs fifo_do_adaptive=0

Get LSM going, talk about SAME and so on!

Good luck,
Hein.
Kamal_12
Advisor

uhm... bad boy :)

i know i can read tons of docs out there but i'd need just a quick tip...
as: is it needed "normally" that kernel option or not? (for example if the "Data Link Bridge (DLPI V2.0 Service Class 1)" is needed to do a ping for me it's "normal"...).
i just need a simple tip from experienced admins. please!

kamal
Kamal_12
Advisor

that's the big problem!
I AM the sysadmin. i came here to do oracle dba and they "made" me sysadmin also.
we have 2 servers: a tru64 box and a linux box.
you know: if i have to enhance my knowledge on os admin i prefer to study linux, and so i don't have time to study tru64 also, but i'm obliged to make this box work!
anyway thank you Hein.

kamal
Kamal_12
Advisor

what are these parameters for?
inet tpcnodelack=1
vfs fifo_do_adaptive=0

no lsm here. we have ufs. (heads think it's easier to manage, and me too, maybe).

kamal
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

cute. THe advise still holds.
Pick your battles. Don't over-optimize / minimize the kernel if you as dba know that Oracle will make/break the system, not the OS.

To answer the simple question. Just 'select all', untill you know better. And it is ok if you never learn better.

When you install a new windoze product you do not yet know do you go straight for 'customize' or 'typical'? (I actually go for customize :-).

Please search the Oracle - Tru64 install doc for recommandation and jsut stick to that!
Perhpas augment that with 'best practices' whitepapers you find on the Oracle site for Tru64 or on the hp site under Tru64 for Oracle, or here in this very forum!

Good luck.
Hein.

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

kernel parameter you find here in the sys_attrs sections:
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51A_HTML/MAN/MAN5/INDEX.HTM

what the kernel options is concerned, if your d not have atm, you can choose from 1-12 or 13, do not know, where atm starts.

Michael

Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

My usual advise is to leave out all those items that contain the 3-letter acronym "ATM" (ie items 13 till 18), the percentage of sites that use ATM is negligeable and leaving them out reduces the kernel size considerable.
The rest of the options is need-and-good-to-have-in-case.

Johan.

_JB_
Kamal_12
Advisor

Thank you both.
I've not selected all.. I've just excluded what I know surely I won't need (eg ipv6).
I'm reading oracle tru64 installation doc letter by letter... I hope the performance will be good (that's what worries more than anything everybody here... if something goes slow it's always my fault... hey, Kamal, the db goes slow! And I think... (AHAHAH damned VB apps! :) )).

Kamal