1751871 Members
5527 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Resizing ReiserFS on SUSE Ent 9

Maaz
Valued Contributor

> Is SP4 an absolute requirement for resizing to work?
No.
as SP3 is also too old(I think it was released in 2006), So a lot many updates/features/fixes you are missing.
as you already performed the proper method of resizing, I suspect that it might be a issue/limitation of reiserfs module, that shipped with SLES 9 SP3.
If it is possible, try to upgrade only the "reiserfs" package from sles9 sp4.

Caution:
I havent upgrade the reiserfs(as suggested), so I take no responsibility ;(

GiTs_1

Hello Again,

Having in main that we have random writes on mounted files structure it is better to unmount FS before resize.
What was output when you try to resize ?

Be Smart Use Linux http://gits.bg
WayneKim
Frequent Advisor

The output is posted above. It basically told me resize was successful but df shows that the file system is still the same size.
WayneKim
Frequent Advisor

Anyone else have any idea to my problem?

Thanks.
Mike Stroyan
Honored Contributor

Reading back through your earlier postings I don't see any statement that you managed to resize the partition. But you went on to trying to resize the filesystem anyway. You need to resize the partition with a tool like parted before you can resize the filesystem. It will not be able to make the filesystem larger than the size reported for /dev/sda1.
Try the parted command and see what you can do with its resize operation.
Ciro  Iriarte
Valued Contributor

You can't just "reclaim" the free space as the filesystem lives on top of a partition.

Parted has a resize option:
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_mono/parted.html#SEC25

But I personally prefer the delete/create path, is faster (you don't have to calculate start and end).

Also, next time you can create the filesystem just on top of the LUN, without partitions.

Regards,
WayneKim
Frequent Advisor

Isn't the "Resize" option in Partitioner (in YaST) basically trying to do the samething as what you indicate "parted" would do? I don't understand what the difference is.

Below is the output of "parted /dev/sda1" :
odsprismaserver:~ # parted /dev/sda1
GNU Parted 1.6.21
Copyright (C) 1998 - 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY;
without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See
the GNU General Public License for more details.

Using /dev/sda1
(parted) print
Disk geometry for /dev/sda1: 0.000-1023949.969 megabytes
Disk label type: loop
Minor Start End Filesystem Flags
1 0.000 1023949.969 reiserfs
(parted)

When using the resize option, how do I know what the end value is? Do I have to umount the filesystem prior to resizing? Sorry if these questions seem elementary as I am not familiar with this process.

Thanks.