New Discussion юеВ

Re: Restore data off older version of HP UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cindy Wolford
Frequent Advisor

Restore data off older version of HP UX

Hi,

I'm sure this is possible, but wanted to toss this out to the guru's.

I have an L3000 server running HP UX 11.11
I also have a K420 server running HP UX 10.20

Is it possible to save non-unix files from the K420 onto a tape and restore them safely onto the L3000?

I'm guessing yes...but had to ask.

-------------------
Is is possible to save unix scripts/files from the K420 onto a tape and restore them safely onto the L3000?

I have no experience with HP UX 11.11 other than what I have read. My guess is that I should be ok....just wanted some assurance.

TIA
Cin
6 REPLIES 6
IT_2007
Honored Contributor
Solution

If it is OS specific libraries then won't recommend.

If it is application specific or something like shell scripts or some thing not based on architecture then you can do it.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Cindy:

Yes, this is often done. I'd use 'fbackup' and 'frecover', although you can certainly use 'tar' or 'cpio'.

Regards!

...JRF...
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Cindy,

I'm not sure what you mean by "non-unix files", but yes, non-OS data files and scripts can certainly be transported to the newer system.

Pete

Pete
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Yes. Plain files and scripts can be copied from a 10.20 machine to an 11.11 machine with no issues. Are you upgrading? ie. will the L3000 be replacing the K420?
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Cindy Wolford
Frequent Advisor

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

I thought I could, just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again!
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Whatever "non-unix" files are then it is certainly possible to transfer them by tape from 10.20 to 11.11. Because the source is 10.20, even using tar is guaranteed to work because the 8MiB maximum filesize patch for tar didn't exist for 10.20 so while the 10.20 transfer will work it is possible that a (patched) 11.11 tar would not be readable under 10.20.

The only possible "gotcha" I can imagine is if you user the Gnu version of tar for 10.20 (that does support 8GiB files) and didn't have an equivalent version on 11.11 but if you use the HP supplied version of tar then the answer is positively, absolutely, yes -- as long as the files are 2GiB or less otherwise fbackup/frecover is your boy.

Tar, cpio, or fbackup/frecover can all be used.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.