1752580 Members
3557 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Root disabled - no console login prompt

SOLVED
Go to solution

Root disabled - no console login prompt

I attempted to use the SMH to change the root password on an rx8640 running HP-UX 11.23. It came back with a message saying that the root account was in use, so it would not make the change. Fine. I logged out of the SMH and tried to sign-in to my server as root. Received a message that the root account is disabled but could still be used from the console. Signed onto the MP and went into the console. No login prompt. Tried ^ecf but it says that I'm already attached to the OS console. Still no login prompt.
Is my only solution booting into single-user mode?
Thanks,
Randy
6 REPLIES 6
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Root disabled - no console login prompt

I assume the system is still up?
Can you login with another user and see what's going on with the console? Which processes is root running there?

Do you have sudo?

The system is still up and running. A 'ps -ef | grep console' shows:
root 2780 1 0 Jan 5 console 0:00 -sh
root 2955 2780 0 Jan 5 console 0:00 vi /var/tmp/sh2780.1

We have sudo installed to enable certain users to reset passwords, but we do not allow them to reset root.
Thanks,
Randy
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

According to your output, there is a shell running on the console, with a 'vi' session running.

If you reconnect to the console, try to exit out of 'vi' and see if you then get to the '#' prompt.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Patrick: try to exit out of 'vi'

Right. Try a control-L then ":q!" if you don't want to save it.

Thanks! That did the trick. Don't know why anyone was editting that file 20 days ago from the console, but I didn't relish the idea of booting into single-user mode to resolve it.

Close thread.