Operating System - Linux
1752577 Members
4616 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Root file system is mounted read-only???

SOLVED
Go to solution
AnthonySN
Respected Contributor

Re: Root file system is mounted read-only???

Jun 14 18:11:10 rac3 kernel: SCSI device sda: 859525120 512-byte hdwr sectors (440077 MB)
>>440077 MB approx 430 GB means its not local disk.

Jun 14 19:15:47 rac3 kernel: EXT3-fs error (device dm-0): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
Jun 14 19:15:47 rac3 kernel: Remounting filesystem read-only
>>device dm-0 means a san disk

so check your san disk which may be unpresented

Thomas Callahan
Valued Contributor

DM-0 doesn't strictly mean it's a SAN disk. Device-Mapper can manage anything - including scsi, local attached, in the nose, or SAN. In fact, all LVM devices are managed under DM, and those are just logical pointers, per se.

If it IS a SAN disk, and has been unpresented, there is no reason the server should still be able to see the disk. There should be no path to the disk if it has been "properly" unpresented.

This looks more like a volume failure, more specifically an EXT3 failure. I would reboot in rescue mode, and run an fsck on the disk to attempt to clear the errors. If that fails, you may be looking at a restore from backup.
Qcheck
Super Advisor

Thomas, Thank you and everyone who is responding to this.

In order to reboot in rescue mode, I need the boot disk right? I am afraid the client has that. Physically I can't access the server as it is 3 hrs away and we r supporting remotely.

So now, over the weekend, the server went down, tried to reboot I guess and this is where it stopped:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

So If I ask them to power off and on the button, do you think it will come up? Can I try that first as they don't have the disk1 to mount? Please let me know asap?

Thanks again.
AnthonySN
Respected Contributor

check the bios for boot order change, any usb disk or floppy attached to the server.
Qcheck
Super Advisor

SASJ, Thank you for the response.

We asked the client to power cycle the server and everything came up clean. Now, curious of what happened? Now, no read-only file system. I can write to the / file system. Happies....but wht happened? Nothing suspicious in the log file.
AnthonySN
Respected Contributor

that is indeed gr8 news...
All is Well that ends Well.
cheers...
Thomas Callahan
Valued Contributor

Sounds like whatever is presenting your storage hiccuped or the server hiccuped.

The screen you said it was stuck at was a BIOS screen where it was looking for a Boot Device but not finding one.

I would ask the client where the storage is coming from, and if there were any problems with that storage at the time this occurred.
Qcheck
Super Advisor

After power cycling the server, problem has gone away......