New Discussion юеВ

Re: Root logon denied at console.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Ivan,
What entry would I be looking for in the File you mentioned?
There are two types of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

in access.conf you would look anything that has a combo of -, root, and either LOCAL or console.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I just re-read your original message. I wanted to see if you could login as root via ssh or something else. I thought maybe the root account was locked.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

One other thought. Try tailing /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure and see if you get any messages that might tell you what is going on.
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Court,
This is the error in /var/log/messages

Sep 22 08:38:48 alexandria gdm[4379]: Root login disallowed on display ':0'Sep 22 08:40:04 alexandria gdm[4379]: Root login disallowed on display ':0'
Sep 22 08:45:34 alexandria gdm[4379]: Root login disallowed on display ':0'

All entries in the /etc/secrity/access.conf file have been changes to allow root logon. I did not reboot or anything though. Root still cannot log in from the console. Should I attach a copy of the securetty file and access.conf file? Maybe I am missing something.
There are two types of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I think that in this case, the problem is your GDM configuration.

Edit the /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf file and set:

AllowRoot=true

I'm not sure if gdm.conf is on that path on RH 3.0, but the file name gdm.conf must exists somewhere in /etc.

find /etc -name gdm.conf
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

I am not sure if this is a pam config issue. or something else. But you cannot login to gnome. You could always just hit something like alt+f2 and login.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Check your gdm.conf and see if AllowRoot=0, if not change it. Then try logging in.
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Court/Ivan,
THanks I will give that a shot and reply with the outcome.
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Court/Ivan,

There was a gdm directory in /etc so I went in and there was a custom.conf file I modified the frile from Allowroot=false to Allowroot=true. And I still cannot log in as root from the console. Sorry to keep bugging your guys, but I can't figure this out.