Operating System - HP-UX
1748256 Members
3938 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Root password expired - console locked by GSP (cross posted in server forum also)

SOLVED
Go to solution
AttilaDan
Occasional Contributor

Root password expired - console locked by GSP (cross posted in server forum also)

I've got an old L-class running HP-UX 11.0.

The root password has expired and can only be changed at the console.  However, the console is locked and the GSP needs to be reset to unlock it.  I can run the reset command from another terminal (stty +resetGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1), but it needs to be run as root.  I can't login as root because the password has expired.

So I'm in hard place.  I need to change the password at the console, but first I have to reset it.  I can't reset it until I can change the password.

I'm sure that a hard boot would get me in, but I'd rather not do that if needed.

In the server forum (where I also posted this), someone suggested that I could reset the  GSP card without a reboot.  If I can figure out how to gain access without shutting down, I'll try it.

Any other ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Root password expired - console locked by GSP (cross posted in server forum also)

Yes, you can reset the GSP without using HP-UX. There is a little button that you can press to reset the GSP. Only one problem: on this server is located behind the side panel covering the PCI card cage. If the server happens to be in a rack without side covers, you might be able get the panel off the side. Or if you have the I/O cables (disk, LAN, etc) properly dressed in a service bar, you can slide the unit out to reach the panel. 

A reboot will not likely unlock the GSP if it is due to old firmware lockups. You'll probably have to power the unit off *AND* remove the power cords for a 10-20 seconds.

Once you get back access to HP-UX, I would strongly consider getting sudo installed so you can gain secure access to root commands. I would also update the GSP firmware, which has had a lot of updates to fix lockups over the years.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
madhucertify
Advisor

Hi,

As Bill said, backside of the server panel ,you can find GSP reset button.

-madhu