Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S98gcstartup start" FAILED on reboot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Donald Thaler
Super Advisor

S98gcstartup start" FAILED on reboot

after doing a shutdown -r on an hp ux 11.23 system i noticed this error in the rc.log file. everything appears to be functioning normally but i was wondering what this error was pointing to.. i tried to do a man on s98gc, but didn't find anything, i searched the knowledge base on s98gc and again nothing turned up.
3 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: S98gcstartup start" FAILED on reboot

The S98 part of the name is a standard name prefix for a SysVinit start-up script link.

S = Start something (K would be Kill/stop)

98 = Determines the position of the script in the start-up sequence, i.e. this is intended to be among the last things to start for a given runlevel.

HP-UX uses three-digit numbers to determine start-up order instead of more common two digits, so this might be a start-up script for some third-party software.

(The actual ordering of the start-up scripts is based on straight ASCII sorting, so using a two-digit number is not harmful - it just means the script S98gcstartup will run only _after_ any scripts named like S999*, but before scripts named like S98[h-z]*.)

The rest of the filename should reflect the actual name of the script. By SysVinit and HP-UX conventions, the script should be located at /sbin/init.d/gcstartup - but third-party software won't always follow those conventions.

Run "ls -l /sbin/rc?.d/S98gcstartup" to see where the link points to, then examine the script at the end of the link for more clues.

If the script does not exist, this might be a dangling symlink - a remnant of a third-party software that was removed at some previous time.

A little bit of Googling reveals that "gcstartup" might refer to Oracle Enterprise Manager grid control application.

MK
MK
Donald Thaler
Super Advisor

my fault it was gcstartup not gostartup... and when i looked for S98gcstartup i found it in /sbin/rc3.d
# cd /sbin/rc3.d
# ls -a
. S200tps.rc S823hpws_webproxy S98gcstartup
.. S823hpws_apache S823hpws_xmltools S990dtlogin.rc
K98gcstartup S823hpws_tomcat S828kwdbd S998amgrd
S100nfs.server S823hpws_webmin S829hpvmguestlib S99prngd.rc

it's a system link to /sbin/init.d/gcstartup ... which exists..
and you're right it appears to be for oracles grid control.... i'll query oracle and see if i can remove the entry, since my oracle grid control is actually running on a windows server...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I'll query oracle and see if I can remove the entry,

For HP-UX rc(1m) scripts, you can also disable them with the configuration values in /etc/rc.config.d/.

What it's for:
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=3699203