Go to solution
BFA6
Respected Contributor

Re: SAM Quest

Hi SAM team,

1. a
2a LVM - system commands
2b Filesystem - system commands
2c Swap - system commands & SAM (not very often)
2d Disk array config - SAM
2e Backups - commands
3. SAM's User & Groups (UG) area - don't use
4. No

Regards,

Hilary
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

1 d
2 SAM and system commands
3 adding users, changing passwords
4 don't use it
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
1.) Ignite and e. tar and shar
2.) about 2/3 the time a. and b., as well as some kernel management, printer management, and user/group management.
3. Not a lot of help here, I use SAM and command line user/group management interchangeably based on my mood.
4. Have not used Top Tools, but can look into it.

Thanks, for the post.
Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

1e GNU cpio to DLT with multiple logical volumes per tape (one LV for each computer)

2a. LVM, Yes, SAM and manual (lvdisplay, lvremove, ...)
2b FS, Yes, SAM, occasional manual
2c Swap, YES, SAM
2d Disk Array Configuration, NO
2e Disk Backups, NO (for raw backups), YES, see 1e

3. UG area: None, *all* with system commands

4. Top Tools, not that I know of
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
MAD_2
Super Advisor

A. b (SAM's Backup & Recovery area for complete filesystems backups) but prefer to run customized scripts for smaller type backups (excluding DBs, tmp paths, etc.)

A. No, but I've seen the ease to perform Filesystem Management and Disk Array Configurations using SAM, so I would use them if I need to perform any of these. However, I would prefer the counterpart command line administration, simply because not all Unix systems have SAM.

3. A. Local: I may use it to create/modify accounts or groups, but I switch between doing it through SAM or modifying the files myself through the command line. Why? Because I do not really want to get into the habit of trying to get everything done through SAM. I am the administrator of two HP-UX, one SCO Openserver, one Unixware, and one Sun Sparc, and want to know how to do everything possible using commands instead. When do I normally use SAM? If I need something done right away, like during a test.

4. Have you ever used the HP program Top Tools? If yes, what do you use it for? do you like it? (www.hp.com/toptools)

NO, I have not, but you bet I am going to check it out!
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it makes friends with
T. M. Louah
Esteemed Contributor

1. What is your preferred method(s) for Backup & Recovery?
a. fbackup/frecover & dd specially to support files larger than 2GB
c. Verita's NetBackup

2. Do you perform the following tasks? If yes, HOW do you do them - with SAM or the system commands?
a. LVM command line most of the time (lvextend)
b. Filesystem Management SAM/commandline
c. Swap SAM/commandline
d. Disk Array Configuration - SAM/commandline
e. Disk Backups -

3. What are the top 3 - 5 tasks that you perform most often in SAM's User & Groups (UG) area? often if Trusted env. I use SAM.

Regards
T??
Little learning is dangerous!