Yaroki
Super Advisor

SAM is not running

Hello,

I holds HP-UX B.10.20.

When running SAM I receives the following messages:

/var/sam/log: no such file or directory

/usr/sbin/sam[196]: var/sam not found

Sam main could not open the directory /var/sam (errno=2, "No such file or directory")

#bdf shows no VAR directory exists,

Plese advice,

Yali.

19 REPLIES 19
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: SAM is not running

Hi:

@Yaroki wrote:

#bdf shows no VAR directory exists,

So '/var' isn't mounted.  Did you just reboot, and if so why?  What happens if you do:

# mount -a

Is '/var' present in '/etc/fstab'?

What last happened before this or what did you do?

Regards!

...JRF...

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The "bdf" command lists mount points, not directories. /var is a standard HP-UX mount point: it may be possible to create a custom installation of HP-UX that has /var as a regular directory instead of a mount point, but the default installation should always have /var as a mount point. Without /var, many system services and daemons, including sam, will not work.

Looks like your /var filesystem is currently not mounted for some reason.

Run "grep /var /etc/fstab" to see which disk device contains your /var filesystem: it's typically /dev/vg00/lvol7, but might be different on a HP-UX 10.20.

Make sure the /var directory exists: if it does not exist, mounting your real /var filesystem will not be possible.

Run "ll -d /var" to see if the directory exists. If it does not, create it (mkdir /var).

When /var directory exists, you should be able to mount the filesystem with a simple "mount /var" command.

If these commands display error messages, please copy&paste the errors to this thread.

MK
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>bdf shows no /var directory exists,

If /var/ doesn't exist, your system is completely broken and you need to restore from a backup.

If it is just /var/sam, then you should just "mkdir /var/sam".  If you have another system, copy the permissions.

When was the last time your ran sam(1m)?

Yaroki
Super Advisor

Thanks for the replies.

var directory exists:

# grep /var /etc/fstab gives

/dev/vg/00/lvol9 /var hfs defaults 0 2

# mount /var gives

mount: /dev/vg00/lvol9 needs to be fsck'ed before mounting

mount: warnning : if the device /devvg00/lvol9 is mounted to another system then do not run fsck.

How should I run the fsck? what commands to use? what mode (Single user, other run level)?

I have also noticed that /lvol2 /lvol6 and are not mounted (actually I can't see /lvol6 at all).

BR,

Yali

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

fsck -y -o full /dev/vg00/rlvol9

Since it is unmounted, I believe you can run it without going to single user mode.

Your lvol2 is most likely swap space and thus would not show in fstab (verify by running "swapinfo -tam").  As far as lvol6 is concerned, check /etc/fstab with "strings /etc/fstab |grep lvol6" to see what might supposed to be there (possibly /tmp?).

Pete
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

/dev/vg/00/lvol9 /var hfs defaults 0 2

>How should I run the fsck? What commands to use? what mode (Single user, other run level)?

Since it isn't mounted, you can run it now.  Read fsck_hfs(1M).

# fsck /dev/vg00/rlvol9

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Thanks Dennis, I hadn't noticed that it was HFS!

Pete
Yaroki
Super Advisor

Indeed, /lvol2 is swap space.

Regarding /lvol6 I ran

# /etc/fstab | grep /lvol6 and it gives

/sbin/sh: /etc/fstab: Execute permission denied (???)

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

"strings /etc/fstab", though I probably should have just said "grep lvol6 /etc/fstab"

Pete