1748180 Members
3989 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAM wants EVERYONEb,"s input!

SOLVED
Go to solution

Apache!!! How many of those are we going to have on our systems?
Java??? SAM is allready slooowwwww...

Why not having something like smit has. Invoking sam with the right option to go directly where you want to go... like sam lvm to manage the lvm related stuf, or sam users etc, etc....

How about that command key also... Can the command be shown before t is executed?

Thanks for asking,
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

Funy to see how many people like the crippled smit interface :)

It *does* have good features: we all note them here. Karamanolis hits one on the head: something I use all the time. Calling 'smit install_update' to go to the shortcut directly. It would make me use sam more than I do now.

# sam lv
# sam vg
# sam fs
# sam net
# sam x.25
# sam tty
# sam conf
# sam sw

Yeahhhhh!

Enjoy, have FUN! H.Merijn
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi!

1 & 2) I???m a command-line "junkie" and always have been. I generally script repetitive operations both for documentation purposes and for reuse and replication. From that aspect alone, I do not like GUI (Web-based or otherwise) interfaces. I find command-line interfaces far faster than any other.

I do not load non-essential software on my servers. Requiring Apache for a GUI interface that I would choose not to use doesn???t delight me. The continuted presence of a TUI interface provides a broader base of devices for support and therefore should be retained. Too, when bandwidth is an issue, a TUI is certainly more desirable.

3) I use Glance for monitoring. Add the ability to monitor more kernel parameters therein and I???d be happy.

4) If SAM is going to survive, and if it will continue to offer LVM support, ADD support for more LVM features, like distributed extent allocation. As a more global enhancement to SAM, improve the command log. I find AIX???s SMIT logs far superior to SAM???s.

Regards!

...JRF...
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi, Procura

world over people prefers interface like "smit' than 'sam'

never give up
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

1. We would consider using Apache for it, but we already have Apache installed on some of our boxes so it would have to run without any conflicts.

2. I prefer to have a TUI available when needed. There are times when we are doing maintenance on a box and we prefer to just plug in an old ASCII terminal and do our work.

3. Anything in system monitoring is good. Something that would allow us to configure and monitor EMS would be great.

4. I do all my LVM work from the command line. If you could put all the command line functionality into the GUI, I might consider it. I also agree with the suggestion of being able to jump into a certain part of sam from the command line, as well as a function to show the command line to execute what you are about to do, just like in smit.

JP

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I forgot to bring up the speed issue. SAM is abominably slow as it is. What kind of response can we expect with a web based interface (presumably java, god forbid - haven't you guys figured out that Sun came up with java to try and slow everybody else's servers down?). And the ability to see what is happening under the covers is a necessity - not by prowling through some obscure log that's hidden somewhere, we need a button called "show me what's really going on" (or maybe "preview Sam's actions").

Thanks,
Pete

Pete
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

1. Many tools in the industry are becoming web-based..

I see it as a security risk and wouldn't accept system configuration via web. Just go java - make it look good! very windowsy/maccy!

2. How important is a terminal user interface, or TUI, in your workday?

Vital. What do you do when the system is in runlevel S rescue.. repair bring up then launch a web based gui to finish off the job??! no way. TUI MUST stay. You need to be able to administer from TUI. CLI reproduction/logging is also vital.

3. What types of system monitoring would be valuable to you?

resources. cpu, log files rotation (ie syslog trimming and clipping etc..) memory leak apps.

4. other features..
stm style info run!
I never saw the point of stm out of sam.. hardware alarms identified, driver versions of hardware elements.. warnings/attentions - related to usage/bottlenecks - links to activation of sar/vmstat/glancy style stuff..

Thanks for the opp to help,
Bill

It works for me (tm)
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

1. As long as it does not conflict with our other apache installations or our IPlanet installations, that problibly woud be ok, but I am unsure how much I would use it. (Something about it running only when you need it.) Would you have to start things up on the server, then go to the web page, authenticate again, then do your stuff? Also, there is no consoles to directly hit the page from the server, I would have to go from my desktop. I hope that's what you have in mind... Sam would most likely become the last resort. (Like I can't for the life of me remember the right commands at 3:30 in the morning, etc.

2. I could get by with a command line instead. (See above about remembering commands...)

3. Things in Glance.

4. If you can increase the speed, all the better, but see #1.

Hope it helps

John
Spoon!!!!
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

1. Yes, but imbed it and make sure that HP keeps options available for newer/better/different versions of Apache. Must run in SSL, so make OpenSSL package integrated too.

2. Very. Remote Admin may require this, as I use ssh to access many sites and it's the only port open. X is just too slow through a 128K line ans SSH.

3. Hmmmm, I use my own now, maybe just an interface for iostat, vmstat, and sar.

4. I think LVM is pretty good now, hfs is okay too. Dunno that this needs much help.

I like the http server idea on each server, as I run many now. If it's integrated and kept up to date INCLUDING SSL, I would be happy.

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Greetings,
1) why not - As long as the 2 others (GUI/txt)still exist because:
2) I use X emulation from my office to do the current tasks but still have to go in machine room to put the support etc... CD's and so use a real console /hp terminal
I would like to sam create a log for each user
using sam (or course the ideal would be like already mentionned - like smit: a separate log for the command and one for the real log)

3) some kernel params (system tables...) would be nice...

4)Why is sam so slow when in LVM?
I personnaly use command because:
a) I cant trust sam when adding disks with my FC connections to HDS bay (although same HW as XP...)
b) because of speed
We all seem to believe online JFS should be incorporated free - it is true that AIX offers their complete JFS with mirroring at no extra cost... I would add mirrorUx

All the best

Victor