1753597 Members
6816 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SAMBA

John Guster
Trusted Contributor

SAMBA

Is there any other software functioning just like SAMBA/CIFS but more popular, easy to configure, and free of license charge?

Or the question is what is wrong with using SAMBA?
Any inputs based on your experience are welcome.
John
5 REPLIES 5
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Re: SAMBA

There always seems to be some kind of 'free' ware for anything - question becomes how good is it and how do you get any kind of support for it. Answer - anybody's guess.

We use SAMBA, and it really is not as bad as it might seem when you first start. Don't let the manuals and such overwhelm you. Just try starting it on some semi-free or dev box. I started on my hpux workstation.
Leave as much to default when you start, but try changing things around and you may be surprised - it's not really that hard.
We use it alot here to interface UNIX with Windows. Some fully unsecured access, while other shares are locked down so only select folks can get to it.

Besides, there are plenty of folks on the Forums who use it (me included) that are willing to help.
We work cheap too...just for points (ha ha)

Rgrds,
Rita
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Looking for something that works like Samba, is more popular, and free? Well Windows could be a candidate if it were free. Besides that, I don't know of any other alternative than using Samba. :)

Humour aside, if you only need to mount Windows shares and log on with Windows accounts on your HP-UX boxes, you only require HP-UX CIFS Client. I tried it recently, and some parts of that client is not based on Samba but on a third party product named Sharity. You don't need to mess with config files as they're pre-configured for trivial cases, and I found it to be very easy to use.

If you still need a full-blown server installation based on HP-UX CIFS Server (i.e. Samba), back a few years ago I used SWAT, which was web-based interface to the samba configuration files. I don't know if that is still in use but it is worth investigating.

Good luck
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

Sounds like SAMBA is still a well developed software, top choice for share file systems between UNIX/Linux and Window. "no one beats SAMBA", right?
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>UNIX/Linux and Window. "no one beats SAMBA", right?<<<

off course, no doubt
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

SAMBA, or CIFS is the future for all IT sharing.