108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN Disks not appearing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adel B
Occasional Advisor

SAN Disks not appearing

We have an itanium rx4640 HP-UX server. The server has 2 internal disks and several SAN disks using an EVA san storage system. the server is connected to the SAN using 2 HBA fiber channel cards connected to a SAN switch. After a system crash we can no more see the SAN disks. I've run an IO scan which doesn't show the disks but it clearly shows both HBA fc cards and they look normal and claimed. So I used the fcmsutils to troubleshoot the cards. Every thing looks fine except that both of the cards show "not initialized". I don't know if that is related to the problem or not. So I reset both cards using fcmsutils. this didn't solve the problem neither. I looked on the back of the server and both HBA cards show the PWR LED as steady green. However the other LED on the cards is off, which should show also steady grean if activity exists. Any ideas to resolve this issue guys?
15 REPLIES 15
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi ,

Which is your OS version ?
Are you sure your EVA is up and running and your Fabrc is fine?

is there any other Storage LUNs mapped to this server?

Is there any other server using this EVA which is working fine ?

Could you please paste the output of the ioscan -fun and ioscan -fn command output???

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Adel B
Occasional Advisor

The EVA is up and running because it's also connected to other servers which don't have any problem.
Also the EVA is operating normally whithout warnings nor errors.
All Luns mapped to this server are not showing.
It's a bit hard for me now to paste the ioscan output. but I can answer if you have a specific question.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

a) insf -e (* to update the new device paths in the kernel's ioconfig table *)
b) insf -e (* to be sure *)
c) ioscan -funC (* to read the new updates and current device paths *)
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Adel B
Occasional Advisor

insf -e Already done twice...No luck
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Probably your card must be the culprit .......

Somecards running with old firmware/drivers may show this kind of behaviour ( there are some known issues for some cards.)

Is there any chance to remove the FC cable and reinsert it ????

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
chris huys_4
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Sanswitchports of the sanswitches, the server fc hba's are connected to, are probably in disabled state.

Enable the sanswitchports of the sanswitches, i.e if its a brocade sanswitch, telnet ; portenable , and the server fc hba's should be able to do a fabric port login and consequently a ioscan -fn should be able to see back the eva luns.

Also cut&paste the output of fcmsutil /dev/# next time..

Greetz,
Chris
Adel B
Occasional Advisor

I did remove the cable and re-inserted it. but nothing improved.

Chris, the SAN switch was working normally and no-one changed any configurations to it. So why could the ports be disabled?

Anyway I'll do what you suggested tomorrow to see if that would help the situation.
Leonard C.
Frequent Advisor

1) ioscan
2) ioscan -fun (send output)
3) Do you see fcd0 or fcd1 in /dev ?
4) What's the EVA model?
Sagar Sirdesai
Trusted Contributor

Before you run the ioscan of the disk .
You run the ioscan for the controllers.
ioscan -fnCctl.

If this shows any output then the server can see that EVA.
Then run the ioscan for the disks

If no controllers are seen from ioscan output then there is some issues with the zoning at the SAN Swicth Side.

Also let us know what Multipath is been used

Sagar