108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN boot on Alpha GS160 with Tru64 5.1B-2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Larry Vatkin
Advisor

SAN boot on Alpha GS160 with Tru64 5.1B-2

I've installed TruCluster Server with a quorum and boot disks on the SAN.
I'm using Emulex adapters FCA-2354 and FCA-2384 in fabric mode, but the system doesn't allow me to use these devices (pgc0 or pgd0) to boot from.
Could somebody please advise me how to boot from the SAN?
Thanks,
Larry
6 REPLIES 6
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

You don't actually boot from the HBAs. You boot from disk volumes seen by the HBAs. In order to boot from a SAN disk, you need to use the console utility 'wwidmgr' to define the disk to the console. See:

http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/docs/srm_reference/WebHelp/wwidmgrcommand.htm

Can you see the HBAs using the console 'show config' and 'show device' commands?
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Larry,

There is a wwwidmgr users guide(pdf)on the AlphaServer firmware CD.

__ Johan.

_JB_
Larry Vatkin
Advisor

Thanks Mark!
Yes, I could see WWIDs through wwidmgr
- just couldn't figure out how to define the disk to the console. And at this point my system just hung after issuing "wwidmgr -show wwid" command, though I could do it before. Tried to power off/on using SCM, but still no results: can't return back to P0>> prompt
Larry Vatkin
Advisor

Thank you Johan and Mark!
Reading wwidmgr.pdf helped a lot to understand how to boot from a particular wwid. I even created 2 units - wwid0 and wwid1. But, as I wrote in previous reply, I can't get the system back to console mode from SCM - the system hangs after issuing "quit" and doesn't return to P00>>> prompt. Not that I haven't done it before - everything worked fine up until this time.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry
Larry Vatkin
Advisor

Found out what happened: (Murphy's Law in full affect!) during power-on got this:
*** Powering off failed CPU 0 in Hard QBB 0
Larry Vatkin
Advisor

Found out what happened: (Murphy's Law in full affect!) during power-on got this:
*** Powering off failed CPU 0 in Hard QBB 0