108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAP database backup are running very slow

arun khatwani
Frequent Advisor

SAP database backup are running very slow

Hi ,

I got request from client

The SAP database backup for s1pdbcs(S1P,nlsarucbs) and nlsarp0cbs(BWP) are running very slow.
The data is been written at a very slow rate. May be its reading it at a slow rate.
please have a look at it and see if all the things are working properly?
This issue has caused the backup to run for a long time than usual.

what needs to be check in that case
2 REPLIES 2
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

If you are expecting an answer to such a vague problem description, you are an eternal optimist.

But just to take a crack at it, if this is a network based backup, I'd check for the speed and duplex mismatches between the NIC and switch ports. I also would check the tape drive if it needs head cleaning.

Without know what kind of backup software and what backup method is utilized, it is hard to even predict what might be wrong.

> please have a look at it

And how would that happen? You did not provide the server model, the amount of data, whether the data is raw or filesystems, the amount of RAM you have, the backup program name, and the model of the tape drive.

So if I guess that your server is a very slow K250 with 2 processors and 2 GB of RAM and you are backing up 200 GB of data with a DDS3 tape drive running tar, it may take about 3 days and your server would be working quite properly.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin