1753419 Members
4826 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCP Hanging Process Problem

Mark Duffy
Advisor

SCP Hanging Process Problem

I???ve have what I consider to be a bit of a bizarre problem concerning scp. I have a Solaris 2.7 host running doing an scp to an HPUX 10.20 host. The copy is successful but leaves a process hanging on both the host and destination servers. The hung processes are:

/usr/local/bin/ssh ???x ???oFallBackToRsh no ???oFallBackToRSh no hostname scp ???t /home/dir
(on the host server)
and
scp ???t /home/dir
(on the destination server)

The original scp to copy the files, runs with no options (scp file hostname:/home/dir)

Both servers are running the same version of ssh (2.1.1). If the process is run in reverse (i.e. HPUX to Solaris) I have no problems!!

I have run various test to rule various things out. These are as follows:

It does not matter what version of ssh I???m running, the hung processes still exist.

The problem only exists when going from Solaris to HP. I have run several tests from Solaris to Solaris, HPUX to HPUX and HPUX to Solaris and these have all completed successfully.

The problem occurs regardless of which OS (10.20 or 11.x) the HP server is running.

I ran an scp using the ???v option for a copy going both ways and looked at the output to see if there was a difference. It appears that although the scp is successful it does not produce an exist code which seems to be the reason that the process is left in a hung state (no handshake?). The other fully successful scp???s show and ???Exit Status 0???

Has anyone ever seen anything similar? I can find nothing on the web. What is the ???t option that seems to be showing with the hung scp processes? Could this be in anyway PAM related?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mark

2 REPLIES 2
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Re: SCP Hanging Process Problem

This is a now problem with ssh, there are some comiplation options that can help with this. I couldn't find my readme file, but that file explains the option to solve the problem. There are also options such as --with-pam that allow it to modify login times and not expire accoutns etc...

GL,
C
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Mark Duffy
Advisor

Re: SCP Hanging Process Problem

Craig,

I know very little about PAM but am I right in thinking it is installed and running on a default HP build? If so, and from what I'm seeing within the SSH INSTALL notes should SSH be compiled with the --without-pam option? Is there any risks there?

Thanks,

Mark