Advisor

SGA

Dear all,
What is system global area?

ragesh
3 REPLIES 3

Re: SGA

Memory areas for Oracle:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/memory.htm#i10093

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Well for Oracle, simplictically stated...the SGA is the area of memory that the DBA allocates for an Oracle instance.

So if your server has so much memory, part of it is going to be taken up by the operating system needs and the rest can then be distributed or shared to other software, like Oracle. Oracle as your database environment gets to start allocating resources as well. By defining limits with the SGA (example the init.ora files) the DBA allocates how much they want for resources for each instance. This way you can have more than one instance, each staying within it's "boundaries/limits".

I'm sure smarter folks can say it more accurately.

Rgrds,
Rita
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

I'm getting slower it seems (or rather, I'm can not follow the forums as closely as I used to).

I did not recogize all these 'please do my homework for me ' questions by Ragesh.

Ragesh,

PLEASE do yourself and others a favor by FIRST doing a wikipedia, google and (online) MAN page search for your questions.

After that, if still needed, feel free to ask your questions with some indication that you tried but would like additional or more specific detailed information.

This will provide a better experience for all involved. Yourself first and foremost. You'll get better, nicer, answers if you show you tried.

The current question is just about offensive, and an insult to your intelligence.
I would not consider to ever hire a person who ever in the past (the net has a long memory) dared ask this.

Feed the question "What is system global area?" into google and what do you get?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Global_Area

Now, what MORE would you like to know, and how would that pertain to HPUX?

Only trying to help!

Best regards,
Hein.