108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SSH - server can't even connect to itself

SOLVED
Go to solution
tony j. podrasky
Valued Contributor

SSH - server can't even connect to itself

I am having a problem with SSH on a new laptop (named FEDORA).. It can connect to my other computers but it can't even connect to itself, nor can any of the other computers connect to it. Here is an example of what I get when I try to connect from a session on it, to itself::

tonyp% ssh -p 10001 fedora -l tonyp
tonyp@fedora's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
tonyp@fedora's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
tonyp@fedora's password:
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password).
tonyp%

Again, it (fedora) can connect to the other computers just fine.

I've been all over the internet - and tried just about everything - obviously NOT everying - because if I did it would be fixed, :-)

I would be happy to try anything - including disabling any and all security (the "main computer" is the gateway for all the others. It has the NIC that has the internet (cable MODEM) connected to it. The NIC is disabled at all times EXCEPT when enabled for e-mail and short sessions with the web browser - like right now).

Below is the "uname" output from: the RedHat 3.0 laptops / my workhorse computer (blacktower) and the new laptop (fedora).

Network:

o bunch of old laptops. uname:: Linux m2404txp 2.4.21-4.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 3 17:52:56 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

o main computer: uname: Linux blacktower 3.1.0-7.fc16.i686.PAE #1 SMP Tue Nov 1 20:53:45 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

o new computer: uname: Linux fedora 4.2.3-300.fc23.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Oct 5 15:42:54 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanx for any and all suggestions.

regards,

tonyp

REMEMBER: Once you eliminate your #1 problem, #2 gets a promotion.
1 REPLY 1
tony j. podrasky
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: SSH - server can't even connect to itself

Well, I decided to start all over. I deleted the files in /etc/.ssh and put a fresh copy in there.

Now, everything is working - PERFECTLY!

All I can guess is that by going thru all the entries I could find on the internet, I changed too many things and it wasn't possible to straighten it out after that.

Thread Closed.

REMEMBER: Once you eliminate your #1 problem, #2 gets a promotion.