Operating System - HP-UX
1753758 Members
4855 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Samba & Username.map file

Ben kennedy

Samba & Username.map file

I have somewhat of a weird problem going on between my production and test instance of HP-UX and Samba.

Both systems are virtual machines running on an RX7640 and both are running HP-UX 11.31BOE. Both systems are running trusted, so we must have 8 character or less usernames on Unix.

For some reason, these server's username.map file had to be different for each to work.

Production Entry:
username = STM.AD\usermane

Test Entry:
username = STM\username

In both cases if we changed anything it would break the relationship between Unix and AD. For the longest time this was fine and I didn't really care.

Fast forward to now and were running into an issue with Windows 7 machines and long usernames. I did a little research and saw that people were having better results with updated CIFS Client/Server as well as updated Kerberos client.

So starting on Test I upgraded each of those. Here is the current entries on Test:

CIFS-CLIENT A.02.02.02 HP CIFS Client
CIFS-SERVER A.02.04.02 HP CIFS Server
KRB5CLIENT E.1.6.2.09 Kerberos V5 Client Version 1.6.2.09

After installing these everything works great on Test. So I setup some downtime to upgrade Production and upgraded the same clients:

CIFS-CLIENT A.02.02.02 HP CIFS Client
CIFS-SERVER A.02.04.02 HP CIFS Server
KRB5CLIENT E.1.6.2.09 Kerberos V5 Client Version 1.6.2.09

However after upgrading Production I'm still having issues with Samba and long usernames with Windows 7 users.

I've noticed that if I change the username.map file on Production to mirror Test Samba access works for users on Windows 7 with long user names, but it breaks some other Samba stuff related to the application running on the HP-UX servers.

So I'm trying to figure out why Production needs to have the full domain name listed in the username.map file.

Hopefully this all makes sense, I'm still learning HP-UX.

Let me know if you need anymore information and thanks for any help.

-Ben Kennedy