5197 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Samba logging question.

Please remove this user
Occasional Contributor

Samba logging question.

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to log information when a file is deleted by an user connected via Samba share. I have changed the Samba Log Level option to 3, but the amount of undesired information logged is too much.

My local users currently exchange files by FTP and I have the options -l and -v configured at the ftpd startup, therefore the information about removing files is logged into syslog.log. Does anybody know if it is possible to obtain similar information using CIFS A.01.08 in an HPUX 11.00 box? I have been planning to make SAMBA shares to take the place of local FTP access.

TIA.
2 REPLIES 2
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Samba logging question.

Modify the source code to add your logging requirements, recompile, reload.

cifs is samba

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Re: Samba logging question.

Hi Alex,

I don't know of an easy way to get this info from CIFS. I've had a look at the logs at levels 2 and 3 and there appear to be some entries for file deletion that could be grep'd out with a script. This shows the username that deleted the file if using level 2.

An alternative solution is to convert to a trusted system and use auditing which can give you detailed information on file access. There's a lot of information at http://docs.hp.com on trusted system and auditing.

regards,

Darren.
Calm down. It's only ones and zeros...