108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Samba mount problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
heaman1
Regular Advisor

Samba mount problem

I have a bebian and RHEL 5 server , I use the command mount.cifs windows-path local-path -o username="xxxx",password="yyyy" can mount the windows path as local path , but I use the same method to do at a RHEL 3 server , it pop the below messages

mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Can advise what is the problem , how can I fix it ? thx
5 REPLIES 5
heaman1
Regular Advisor

can advise if I really want to use cifs type , what can I do ?

The reason of why I want to use cifs is because some other application use cifs for file sharing , I am not perfer to make too much changes.
Hemmetter
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

This command only works in Linux, and the kernel must support the cifs filesystem. The CIFS protocol is the successor to the SMB protocol and is supported by most Windows servers and many other commercial servers and Network Attached Storage appliances as well as by the popular Open Source server Samba.

check wether cifs is enabled in kernelconfig:
# grep CIFS /boot/config-$(uname -r)

If not reconfigure and rebuild your kernel.

Your Forumprofile says:
"I have assigned points to 0 of 67 responses"

For better responsiveness of this forum you may want to assign points to all answer you get.

Have a look at:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?admit=109447626+1235388022790+28353475#33

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?admit=109447626+1235388022790+28353475#34

rgds
HGH
Heironimus
Honored Contributor
Solution

EL3 does not include the CIFS driver. It uses the older smbfs code. Use "mount -t smbfs" or "smbmount".
heaman1
Regular Advisor

thx reply,

I found that there is packages called cifs client , can advise does it used for cifs connection if the kernel not support cifs ? is it suit for my case if I do not upgrade the kernel ? thx
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

CIFS and SMB are different names for the same protocol. smbfs will let you mount your Windows shares.

You can also use smbclient, which provides a somewhat ftp-like interface to SMB/CIFS shares.