3166 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Samba puzzle

Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

Samba puzzle

Hi,
I'm quite perplexed. My colleagues in IT are reporting that a samba user is attempting (and failing) login on our WINS server. I'm checking the smb.conf as well as combing through our entire server. Smb.conf has the following settings:
security = server
password = [WINS server IP]
wins server = [WINS server IP]

Not only do I not see such a user on our server, but I also don't see that particular user specified anywhere in smb.conf or usermap (also looked in PAM and CIFS configs just in case). I looked in /var/opt/samba/log.xxx and see nothing in regards to this. Nothing also in syslog.

Below is an entry I was given from the WINS server event viewer. We run HPUX 11.11 and I know I will probably need to give you more information, but I'm wondering where I might look next as I can't see where this might come from.

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Logon/Logoff
Event ID: 529
Date: 8/9/2010
Time: 5:10:45 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: WINS server
Description:
Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: sambatest
Domain: OURDOMAIN
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: NtLmSsp
Authentication Package: NTLM
Workstation Name: \\Unix server IP
Caller User Name: -
Caller Domain: -
Caller Logon ID: -
Caller Process ID: -
Transited Services: -
Source Network Address: Unix Server IP
Source Port: 0

Thanks
Mauro
6 REPLIES 6
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Well, on the face of it, I think the issue looks like one of the UNIX user is not presenting a valid WINDOWS login id/password.
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your reply Mark, and I would agree...however the user (sambatest) shown in the event viewer message does not exist on this unix server. The IP shown in the Source Network Address is correct, but there is no such user in /etc/passwd.
nightwich
Valued Contributor

Hi Mauro

When I config the samba with my AD server, i remeber that the user should exist in the hpux machine

Then you need to add the password with:

smbpasswd

Man smbpasswd give it a try.

Regards.
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

nightwich,
My point was NOT to have the user attempt logging to the WINS server. Problem is this user is not defined anywhere that I can find on the Unix server. Make sense?

Mauro
nightwich
Valued Contributor

I think yes.

The user exist in the WINS server but not in the hpux server correct ?.

So you have to add it to your unix server.

Then try to use the samba shares.

Regards.
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

Actually no. The user does not exist in WINS nor does it exist in our domain. Also does not exist in HPUX.
However, there are login attempts in WINS coming from the HPUX server for THIS user and I am puzzled as to where they are coming from. I would like to stop these login attempts.

Thanks for your help
Mauro