108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Samba user name

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim O'Connell
Regular Advisor

Samba user name

I have a query on setting up Samba usernames. My network logon name is timoco & my unix username also is timoco so I have it working for my username, The problem I have seems to be with users who have a name longer than 8 chars. Username joebloggs1 on the network becomes joeblogg when set up in Unix & causes authentication problems. Is there a way around this. Is it possible to use a group rather than individual usernames. I am running HPUX 11.11.

Thanks,

Tim
5 REPLIES 5
Carles Viaplana
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Try to edit /etc/opt/samba/smbusers.map file. I hope it helps you.

Regards,

Carles
Joel Girot
Trusted Contributor
Solution

hi,
See the 'username map' parameter in the smb.conf man page.

in /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf :
username map = /etc/opt/samba/user.map

and edit this file for mapping of usernames from the clients to the server. For example to map from the name admin or administrator to the UNIX name root you would use:

root = admin administrator

Joel
Tim O'Connell
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the replies. Just to be sure I understand this - does the following example seem ok. I have a unix username payroll that I want to map to 3 network logins. I can set up the /etc/opt/samba/smbusers.map with an entry payroll = joebloggs1 marybloggs1 jackbloggs1 Does the user just enter his network password when they map the drive

Thanks,

Tim
Joel Girot
Trusted Contributor

yes Tim, the user enter the network (smb) password. This password must be added to the unix box in the file smbpasswd under root with the command smbpasswd -a unixuser netpassword. see man 8 smbpasswd.
Joel
Tim O'Connell
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the replies.

Points assigned.

Tim