108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Screensaver

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Munn
Frequent Advisor

Screensaver

I have a situtation where users use a common login across numerous machines and have common home directories on a network storage server.

For some workstations, the user account is setup to disallow the screensaver and this is a fixed requirement. However, the same user going to a different workstation needs the screensaver as a security requirement.

I'm looking for ways to achieve this. I guess it boils down to the use of the screensaver depends upon which machine is being logged into not the user who is logging in.

As far as I know there is nothing that can be set to disable the screensaver totally from a particular system (or is there?)

One thought I had was to write a small program to trigger the screen saver. That way the user could run the program (a button on the CDE control panel). This program used the XForceScreenSaver function. But although I got errors from using it, it simply did nothing and I don't know why.

Has anyone got any ideas how to address this?
3 REPLIES 3
Stefan Schulz
Honored Contributor

Re: Screensaver

Hi,

i havn't had a look at this, but couldn't it be possible to replace teh screensaver with your own script. In ths script you could check for the hostname.

Then you could decide in your script wether to start the original screensaver or not.

Hope this helps

Regards Stefan
No Mouse found. System halted. Press Mousebutton to continue.
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor
Solution

You could do something like running an xset on all displays connected to the systems you don't want to allow the screensaver to be run (xset -s off). To detect the displays, use 'who -R | grep dtremote'. The display is between the brackets...

It is not the best way but it should work.
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
Richard Munn
Frequent Advisor

Elmar, that seems to work like a treat - many thanks!