New Discussion юеВ

Re: Secure Path&hp-ux 11.31

SOLVED
Go to solution
CowBoy
Regular Advisor

Secure Path&hp-ux 11.31

Hi everyone
Does secure path 3.0F support hp-ux 11.31.
When i am installing that ,i am facing this ERROR:"HP-UX Reliease 11.00,11.11,11,23 PI is not running on this server".
I also have this problem for installing HP-APA compatibility for hp-ux 11.31
9 REPLIES 9
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

hi,

post your all error messages.

Suraj

No it doesn't...

But then you don't *need* Secure Path on 11.31 as the storage stack has native MPIO support.

Unless you are trying to install Secure Path for Active/Passive disk arrays... in that case you are out of luck as SP isn't supported and the storage stack doesn't support A/P disk arrays. However as the only disk array that falls into this situation is and EVA3000/5000 running VCS3.x, you can of course upgrade the EVA firmware to VCS4.x to make it an active/active disk array...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
CowBoy
Regular Advisor

Hi
I have an EVA/8000 .
do i have to use the newer version of SecurePath and HP-APA to install on HP-UX 11.31???
Solution

hmmm if I didn't make it clear enough, if you have an EVA8000 you don't need SecurePath at all with 11.31 - the OS will take care of the load balancing itself - read the WP here:

http://docs.hp.com/en/native-multi-pathing/native_multipathing_wp_AR0803.pdf

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
CowBoy
Regular Advisor

Excuse me
how can i see that is using all the pathes of fiber???

well it won't be using *all* the paths to the EVA... the EVA has a total of 8 host ports, and assuming you have them all zoned so the HP-UX host canb see them, then 4 out of these 8 ports will be active and the other 4 (on the other controller_) will be standby - probably alternating for each LUN presented - that's how ALUA (Asymmetric Logical Unit Access) works. You will be able to see this by running:

scsimgr lun_map -D /dev/rdisk/diskN

for your LUN.

to see if you have load balancing working correctly, set off some hefty IO to the LUN, such as:

dd if=/dev/rdisk/disk10 of=/dev/null bs=8k

and then

sar -L 2 10

and look to see you get IO down more than 1 lunpath. Remember as the EVA8000 is an ALUA array, you'll only get IO to those LUN paths marked as active when you ran scsimgr lun_map (i.e. all the ports on one controller that you have presented the LUN out of)

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
CowBoy
Regular Advisor

Thanks Duncan
Hi
1)Is that pdf you sent to me OK? to config the native multi pathing?

2)With native multi pathing i do noteed to install Secure Path?

i) The pdf show you how to monitor and tune your multi-pathing - as long as you zoned your SAN correctly making sure youre HBAs see all the EVA ports, then there is nothing to configure, the native multipathing stack will configure istelf as sson as a LUN is presented to it.

ii) Yes, no need for Secure Path on 11.31 - in fact you *can't* install it on 11.31.

Secure Path is still the right choice for systems running 11.11 or 11.23 though.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
CowBoy
Regular Advisor

Hi Duncan
Thanks alot
You help me alot !!!
I was getting confused.