Operating System - HP-UX
1753427 Members
5009 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Selecting patch from recommemded or from most recent ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Subodh:

> (1) I have created a single depot which having multiple patches along with their dependency but there are 3 patches having "special installation instruction"

You need to read and follow the special instruction guidelines. That's good that you paid attention.

> (2) Out of which PHKL_31500 is already installed in server and I do not want to install it again so how I can skip this patch from installing again.

That would be expected. Unless you set '-x reinstall=true' then the default behavior is _not_ to reinstall any patch that already exists on your server. Unless you have a very good reason and good knowledge of the ramifications of reinstalling, don't.

> So,,, while installing a single depot using #swinstall ...do we have to select single patches in interactive mode and then install or is it automatically selected as I am installing a Single depot.

You can perform a commandline (non-interactive) installation. As I said, patches that are already installed will be skipped automatically. You should use:

# swinstall -s /patches/swdepot -x autoreboot=true -x patch_match_target=true

> (3) I have gone through ├Г┬в├В ├В special installation├Г┬в├В ├В note of PHCO_38955 and PHCO_38637 it specify to set ENV path and to enable SYSTEM_LOGMSG_ENHANCEMENT, I am not sure about it , please suggest on it . (Refer attachment)

There is no harm in setting the SYSTEM_LOGMSG_ENHANCEMENT. It's simply your choice. By the way (!) please don't post attachments in non-ASCII formats. This is UNIX after all.

> (4) What I have to do, if I want to skip the patches from depot while
Installation.

As I noted, patches that already exist on your server will be skipped unless you set 'reinstall=true'. If you wanted to actually remove a patch from the depot so that it would not be installed, you would use 'swremove' and operate on the depot.

Regards!

...JRF...
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you want to do an assessment, easy task is to use SWA as Bob said. But, One small issue is that you may need connectivity to ITRC from your server.

How ever as Lijeesh told you may use ITRC assessment tool also ..

Always try to avoid installing warning patches if it is not that imporatant and go through the special installation istructions and other dependency text if any, of all the patches which you are going to install
:)

Regards,
sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

Try both ways and tell us your thoughts. Once SWA is installed the swainv script is found at /opt/swa/lbin/swainv.

There are a number of ways that SWA can be used with indirect connectivity. Be happy to discuss those in a new thread.