4829 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Send eject paper to printer

alex1982
Frequent Advisor

Send eject paper to printer

Hello ,
i am using rlpr command to print to a windows shared printer like the following:
/usr/local/bin/rlpr -h -o --windows -SHAREDPRINTER@COMPUTER /opt/test.txt
What happens is that the printer , after has finished with the job, loads the next paper to 1/3 of it.
How can i make the printer eject the paper again, using the same command rlpr ?
5 REPLIES 5
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

1) If I recall correctly, the use of "rlpr" directly, instead of vi the "lp" command, is not supported.

2) you've by-passed any model scripts that would have allowed you to customize the output (like adding a trailing form-feed).

3) in this config, any changes required are more than likely going to have to be made to "SHAREDPRINTER@COMPUTER".

4) what brand / model printer and is it connected to a JetDirect interface? If so, why not print directly from HP to it?
alex1982
Frequent Advisor

The printer is an Epson LQ680 printer.
It is shared in a Windows computer.
I am using rlpr to print to it.This problem occures only when the options --windows and -o are used.One third of the next page is loaded into the printer,after printing the page.
When i use rlpr with the -p option, this is not happening , but the font and formatting are not good.
Unfortunately , i can not modify the text files that i am printing, and i need to use the --windows and -o options, so that formatting is OK.

So , i am thinking of re-using the command rlpr, but this time sending the eject command to the printer.

Thanks
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

well duh...i read that as "lpr". "rlpr" is not part of the "standard" lp suite (at least I don't believe it used to be.

I'd have set this up with as a "remote" printer in the HPUX side. That should/would pass the original file to windows for it's printer driver to process. As this is a "dot matrix" printer, I assume that the paper is fan-fold, so it could also be an issue w/ lines-per-page on the printer.

If windows prints properly, try setting up a remote printer, rather than fiddling w/ rlpr.
alex1982
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately, i can not set up the printer as a remote printer, because, i have to print to all domain printers, and i can not install them one by one to the server as remote printers.
This is why i am using rlpr for printing this document.
How can i send the form feed character to the printer using rlpr.
alex1982
Frequent Advisor

I created a new file with only one line in it, the chr(12) form feed character.
I am printing that file after the file i want to print.
It seems to work.
Thanks for your help.