3754 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server reboot-- need patch info

bchinnat
Frequent Advisor

Server reboot-- need patch info

Hi,

The server reboot frequently. In the hardware level there is no issue. So whether because of old patch it was rebooted? Please find the below output and advise me. If issue is because of patch, then please specify the exact patch I need to go with.....

Thansk in advance.......

# uname -a
HP-UX xxxxxxxx B.11.23 U ia64 4293838896 unlimited-user license
4 REPLIES 4

My car won't start - is it need repair? Please tell me exactly what needs repairing.

Can you spot the problem with the statement above, and your own original post?

Yes... a distinct lack of information... which is strange because as you state "In the hardware level there is no issue" - as you seem 100% confident this isn't a hardware problem you must be an extremely experienced sysadmin!

Did you seriously think based on the info you have provided that someone on here could say "ah yes you need to patch PHKL_12345"?

So first off tell us _why_ you know this isn't a hardware issue.

Then you might want to indulge the non-psychic amongst us by telling us some more about what happens:

Anything related to a failure at the bottom of the file /var/adm/syslog/OLDsyslog.log ?

Any new files created in the /var/adm/crash directory or /var/tombstones directory after the reboot?

Last entry in /etc/shutdownlog ?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
bchinnat
Frequent Advisor

In /etc/shutdownlog, I could able to see the message "07:47 Mon Jul 27 2009. Reboot after panic: Bad News!". Yes as you said the file was created under /var/tombstones. But in /var/log/OLDsyslog I am not getting any thing..

In hardware level, we already checked with the HP engineer....

>> In hardware level, we already checked with the HP engineer....

So you already have a call open with HP? Presumably they are asking you for the contents of the files in /var/tombstones and a crash dump from /var/adm/crash ...

Although there are some bright folks on the forums, picking through dumps of memory and processor registers at the time of a machine check end is something that only the HP Response Centre can do (you do have a support contract right?) - if you don't think you are getting the attention you need through that route, you should request that your case be escalated...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Roopesh Francis_1
Trusted Contributor

Bala,

is there any crash dump created..can you check on /var/adm/crash/crash.x
I would suggest to send the crash dump to HP for detailed analysis.

Please check your patch level also.

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/releaseIndexPage.do?admit=109447627+1248769763642+28353475

>The server reboot frequently. In the hardware level there is no issue<

if it is frequant reboot happening there could be more chance for hardware issue.

Thanks