New Discussion юеВ

Re: Service Guard log file

SOLVED
Go to solution
The_Cina
Advisor

Service Guard log file

Hello,

Today I've discovered that the log file of serviceguard is hitting the 200MB size, which is becoming a problem for our root file system.

/etc/cmcluster/PRD/dbciPRD.control.script.log

Is it possible to just move away the file and archive it while the cluster application is running ? Does it will recreate the file the next time it has to write the file?

Do you have any other suggestion?

Thanks!!
6 REPLIES 6
Mounaam
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

be careful, instead of moving the file copy it elsewhere then truncate the source:

# cp -p script.log
# : > script.log

You can check if the log file is still in use with for example:

# fuser script.log
or
# lsof script.log
The_Cina
Advisor

Hello,

For reference, I have found this message very similar to my issue:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1205179083364+28353475&threadId=1175398

I yhink I'll follow the suggested solution :

cd /etc/cmcluster
gzip < script.log >script.log.old.Z && > script.log

melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

The package control logfile is ONLY written to when starting or stopping the package unless the application is logging information in there.
If you remove this fiile while the package is runing, it will simply recreate the file and use it.
However, it is a good idea to at least keep some of the old file for possible troubleshooting at a later stage.
It is also good practice to regularly check these log files and trim as and when necessary due to the fact that they grow without bounds.
to have a package log that is 200MB in size tells me that this has NEVER been done.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Armin Kunaschik
Esteemed Contributor

Just move the log away. The file is only open if the cluster service writes to it (unlike syslog) and will be recreated if it does not exist.
A good idea might be to create a seperate logical volume for /etc/cmcluster so the cluster might not fill to / filesystem.

My 2 cents,
Armin
And now for something completely different...
The_Cina
Advisor

Thanks for your additional infos; that is all I needed to know !
The_Cina
Advisor

bye