Operating System - HP-UX
1751854 Members
5753 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Setting kernel params after Mem and CPU upgrade?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kalin Evtimov
Regular Advisor

wow, great. A bit too much hardware for me.
The output is in the attachment.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kalin

Looking at this output I can see that the LUN c4t0d0 is made up of 8 x 72GB disks in a RAID1+0 configuration to provide a 288GB LUN. I have to say that doesn't seem like much for a SAP BW environment to me, but I guess that depends on what you are doing with it... certainly I would expect the number of CPUs you have in the system now could more that max-out a single Smart Array card for IO.

Also as I pointed out earlier, all your reads and write are going to these 8 disks, which seems to me to probably be pretty inefficient.

Looking at the output there appears to be another drive configured (probably presented as c4t0d1) - what is that used for? I think you need to look at doing the SAP load so that it is reading from one set of disks and writing to another.

You could try upping the scsi queue depth, although I can't find a reccomended setting for the Smart Array card. It's probably safest to up it in small increments. If you see performance gains then keep going until you see no further perf gains, or start getting device queue full messages in the syslog.

I'd start with just 16 and see how that goes:

scsictl -m queue_depth=16 /dev/rdsk/c4t0d0

I'd be surprised if this makes much difference.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo