108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting up a xerox printer on a unix server

SOLVED
Go to solution
mike worrell
Regular Advisor

Setting up a xerox printer on a unix server

Running HP-UX 11.0 and I need to set up a printer that is a Xerox Workcenter 5655.
When I try to set up using the HP jet direct print installer I get this message:
!! No response from p38bmm1e !!
... (trying to ping p38bmm1e)

The HP JetDirect Printer Installer for Unix can ping the device.
The problem may be:
* incorrect GET community name!
* it is not a network printer!
* other.

Get this message on every Xerox I try.
Any idea how to get around this. Went to xerox site and got driver for hp-ux 11.0 but it's just a xerox program for adding printers on a unix box. I did it and it added as a local and not network printer.

Anyone else had any dealings with this please let me know how you got it to work.
4 REPLIES 4
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

It looks like the hppi installer can ping the printer. Ignore the error and continue in hppi to install the printer. The hppi uses snmp to talk to the printer and since snmp is not set up, you get this error.
mike worrell
Regular Advisor

I'll try and proceed on and see what I get.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

TTr is correct. This usually happens when SNMP isn't set-up or configured.

As it is pingable, you should be able to proceed as it is simply a warning. I've used several Xerox WorkCenter models in out facility.

One thing to be aware of if your in a very secure environment: the print jobs may be stored on an internal disk in the workcenter which doesn't flush automatically after printing is complete. The various jobs are availabe to be reprinted...which can lead to confidential data being compromised. I don't recall if there was a setting to take care of this or if I needed to manual clean-up after.
Johnson Zhu
Advisor

Hi Mike, I am having issue to setup the same printer you had. Would you mind to tell me which drive you used to setup? is that LJ4L? Many thanks.