108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sharing disk between servers with diffrent HP-UX version

SOLVED
Go to solution
Josep Arques T.
Occasional Advisor

Sharing disk between servers with diffrent HP-UX version

We are planning to migrate an Oracle Database using 2 servers, the first one is HP-UX 11.11 and that's where the database is running at the moment. The second one is HP-UX 11.23, that's where the database has to be migrated.

In order to reduce the migration process time, instead of a NFS solution, we have considered the possibility of using an external SAN disk, create a new VG in the HP-UX 11.11 server, dump the Oracle DB, export and deactivate the VG, and finally import and activate the new VG in the HP-UX 11.23 to migrate the database.

Do you think that solution can work, despite of the different HP-UX versions?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Hi Arques,

I doubt this question is posted in the wrong forum. This should be answered by the HP-UX experts.

However, I am sorry to say that the planned activity cannot help you to migrate the Database. There will be a number of patches and bundles to be installed in HP-UX and a procedure should be followed as per my knowledge. Please contact your Oracle Support team and they are the best to answer this query
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

Sounds good. I'd do it.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, a LVM VG and a VxFS filesystem created on 11.11 can be imported, activated and mounted on 11.23 with no trouble at all.

If you were doing the operation in reverse (creating the filesystem on 11.23 and moving it to 11.11), it would still be do-able, but it would be necessary to explicitly specify VxFS layout version 4 in newfs/mkfs command.
This is because the default layout for 11.23 is version 5, and 11.11 understands only versions 2, 3 and 4.

11.23 understands all the old layouts of 11.11 and adds a new layout version 5, which is not supported by 11.11.

For a list of supported VxFS layout versions in different versions of HP-UX and respective maximum filesystem sizes, see this document:
http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-4023/5992-4023.pdf

LVM has no major changes between 11.11 and 11.23, although a properly patched 11.23 can create larger LVs than 11.11 can handle.

Please see this document for more information about limits of LVM:
http://docs.hp.com/en/6054/LVM_Limits_White_Paper_V4.pdf

(Only the part about LVM 1.0 is relevant for 11.23 and older. LVM 2.x versions are new features of 11.31.)

As Viveki noted, there may be some things that must be taken into account at the Oracle level.

MK
MK
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Josep,
Make sure to check the vxfs compatibilty in both the places, Often it is found to be a barrier while activating and mounting the FS from the source server if vxfs are not same version. (should be same or higher ver.)

on 11.11 check:
# swlist -l product | grep -i vxfs
# fstyp -v /dev/vg_name/oravl01 #[ run fsyp on the oracle filesystem to see te vxfs filesystem layout.]

on 11.23 check:
# swlist -l product | grep -i vxfs

- Also verify the kernel parameters are same r higher on the system the database is going to be migrated or you might see performance prblem.

-Also verify that OS patch bundles and Oracle required patches are instlled on target.

Check this out for os patch details with the oracle version :
http://www.oracle.com/technology/support/metalink/index.html

- Also make sure all the oracle & app. users are created on the target with same uid/gid as source,

Cheers,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
kamaleswaran
Occasional Advisor

1.Check oracle DB required kernal paramaters are correctly has been configured in hpux v2.

2.Requered OS Patchs are installed in hpux v2.

3.oracle installed and checked.

4.take the backup of

#ioscan -funC disk

if emc storage

#syminq
or hp

#xpinfo -i
and

#strings /etc/lvmtab

#vgdisplay -v

#bdf

#vgexport -v -p -s -m /tmp/vgxx.map vgxx

then

scp the map file to hpv2 to hpv3 servers

#vgchange -a n vgxx

#vgexport vgxx

De-allocate the lun with help of storage team.

Then allocate the lun to hpux v2 server

#ioscan -fnC disk

#infs -e

#mkdir /dev/vgxx

#mknod /dev/vgxx/group c 64 0xxx00000

#vgimport -v -s -m vgxx.map

#vgchange -a y vgxx

Then mount and try to start the database.
Josep Arques T.
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to all, it looks we will try it on friday, I guess it will work.