Operating System - HP-UX
1753468 Members
4360 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Should i have to bring down Applications and Database before taking ignite backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
siva0123
Trusted Contributor

Should i have to bring down Applications and Database before taking ignite backup

Hi,

I'm planning to take OS backup of my server using ignite , which has SAP and Oracle running on it.

I hope it is not neccessary to bring down oracle and SAP for taking this os backup.

Please confirm me if it is so or should i've have to bring down oracle and SAP before taking the ignite backup.

Thanks,
Siva
8 REPLIES 8
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: Should i have to bring down Applications and Database before taking ignite backup

The recommended way to use Ignite is to back up the root VG only and use conventional backup methods for your other data. Given that, you should not need to shut your applications down, since all your backing up are the binaries and not the data. I suggest using "make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/_mn -I -v -x inc_entire=vg00".

Pete

Pete
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Re: Should i have to bring down Applications and Database before taking ignite backup

Hi Siva,

luckily it is not necessary to bring down your services for taking an OS Ignite backup.
However, maybe it couldn't hurt having it executed (as at job) during low system usage.
There are options like -x exlcude and -x inc_entire where you can narrow the scope.
Madness, thy name is system administration
siva0123
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Pete and Ralph.

That has cleared my doubt.

Thanks,
siva
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Siva,

Traditionally, Ignite is used to take backup of the "root" vg and other data backups are normal as of your methods. Later, you can restore them. There is no need to bring the services down.

This should be helpful.

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/IUX/faq.html

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Dear Siva,

As suggested, it is always recommended to use ignite to take backup of ONLY the minimal system (vg00).

The Ignite-UX server's make_tape_recovery command creates a bootable operating system recovery tape for a system while it is up and running. When a system has a logical volume layout, the recovery tape only includes data from the root volume group, plus data from any non-root volume group containing the /usr directory.

The contents of the operating system recovery archive always includes all files and directories that are essential to bringing up a functional system.

Use some other methods of backup to take backup of other database and apps filesystems.

With Regards,

Siva.
Nothing is Impossible !
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

We have similar setup running and luckily do not require to touch anything including applications for taking the ignite backups. Also the intention of using ignite should be only to take backup of vg00. It should not be used as full backup (non root VGs). A non root VGs backup when taken online will not be useful.

Also the ignite should be taken at relatively less usage time of the server.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
siva0123
Trusted Contributor

All,

In fact i was planning to take only the backup of OS ( the root volume group vg00 Only)
Thanks all for your valuable suggestions.

Siva
siva0123
Trusted Contributor

The solution was clear and it cleared my doubt.