New Discussion юеВ

Re: Simple calculation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Comber
Advisor

Simple calculation

Hi experts,

If I have two dates like 11/30/04 and 1/10/05, is there a simple method to find the number of days between them? This ought to be easy but I can't think of a simple way.

TIA,
Bob
11 REPLIES 11
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Do a search through the forums for Clay Stephensons caljd.sh (or caljd.pl) program. That will allow you to do exactly what you require, plus a whole lot more.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Try this site -has some perl info - but if you wait - I'm sure Merijn will have a solution for you.... :)

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Oops:

http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3/perl/perly2k.htm
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

#!/usr/bin/sh

DIFF=$(( $(caljd.sh -S "/" -C -c 1/10/05) - $(caljd.sh -S "/" -C -c 11/30/04) ))
echo "${DIFF} days"

Do a search for "caljd.sh" and you will probably find one or two hits in the Forums. Get Version 2.23 as it is the most recent.

Invoke as caljd.sh -u for full usage and examples.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

caljd.sh version 3.23

http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/#Contrib

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Robert Comber
Advisor

Hi guys,

Thanks. A Clay's solution worked but I hate to use a 1300 line script to do something so simple. Any other ideas?

TIA,
Bob
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Well Bob, I always endeavor to write bloated, inefficient code. I probably should have used COBOL. Bear in mind that a significant chunk of this script is usage and examples plus extensive command-line argument parsing. If this bugs you, find the cal_jdate() function and just use it but then you will need to parse your dates (e.g. 11/30/04 into 11 30 2004 (04 is 4CE). The really neat thing about the cal_date() and the inverse jdate_cal() function is that the do all the "30 days hath September ..." and leap years without a single if.

On the other hand, if you can do better, have at it.
Robert Comber
Advisor

Hi Clay,

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you mad. Please accept my apologies.

Thanks,
Bob
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Not to worry. You didn't. Date calculations are far from trivial especially given that 365.2422 <> 365.25 and with the insane number of days in a given month -- oh, and even that number can vary with the year and whether or not its a century year evenly divisible by 400 ...