1748156 Members
4244 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array S100i SR Gen10 + Cent OS 7.7/8.0

bodydub
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array S100i SR Gen10 + Cent OS 7.7/8.0

Is it possible to see this RAID from under Cent OS and install it on this server?

Tried all options with hpsa-3.4.10-120 drivers.rhel7u1.x86_64.dd
hpvsa-1.2.16-102.rhel7u3.x86_64.dd

RAID does not see. I will try without the RAID set. But I think it's all about the hard drive controller. Make a driver for Linux!

19 REPLIES 19
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@bodydub wrote:

Is it possible to see this RAID from under Cent OS and install it on this server?

Tried all options with hpsa-3.4.10-120 drivers.rhel7u1.x86_64.dd
hpvsa-1.2.16-102.rhel7u3.x86_64.dd

RAID does not see. I will try without the RAID set. But I think it's all about the hard drive controller. Make a driver for Linux!

Like all previous Dynamic Smart Arrays, the S100i is a chipset SATA controller that utilizes software based RAID.  With proprietary technology in the driver itself, it cannot be released as open source.  The primary issue that arises is the long lead time between releases for such things as errata kernel updates.  There are is no real advantages to having this controller in RAID mode versus using the software RAID included  with the Linux OS.  HPE has provided LSRRB. LSRRB (Linux Software Raid Redundant Boot) is a solution that uses in-distro open-source software to build and create a two-disk RAID1 redundant boot volume for UEFI.  https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/project/lsrrb/  For a hardware based controller solution the entry level option is to add the HPE Smart Array E208i-a SR  or  HPE Smart Array E208i-p SR controller.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
bodydub
Occasional Advisor

I tried to install CentOS without using an array. It didn't work either. It seems impossible at all on this server. Will have to change on the other server.

If who has a solution-I ask you to help with installation of CentOS on this machine.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@bodydub wrote:

I tried to install CentOS without using an array. It didn't work either. It seems impossible at all on this server. Will have to change on the other server.

If who has a solution-I ask you to help with installation of CentOS on this machine.

Might help if you mention what server you are working with.

We install CentOS and several other Linux flavors on Gen10 ProLiant daily

bodydub
Occasional Advisor

I working on HP Proliant DL20 Gen10 (P06477-B21).

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You shouldn't have any issues installing CentOS on a DL20 Gen10.  What are you having trouble with?  

bodydub
Occasional Advisor

As I said, does not see the array of hard drives. Without an array, the installed version (automatic disk partitioning) does not start - throws in a one-time launch, I see the inscription Cent OS, but when it is selected, the screen does not blink for a long time and returns back to the menu.

I tried to install on a smart array. But Linux does not see it. Tried when installing the system to install driver for RHEL from earlier tips on how to install CentOS. None of the solutions allowed to see RAID 1 created by a HP smart array.

And I try to do like here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJiBCAN6Irg

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You have to set the controller to SATA AHCI, you can't use the controller in RAID mode with Linux. This is stated on page 6 of the Quickspec https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00053820enw

There is NOT an S100i Linux driver, if you want RAID you need to use the RAID features built into the OS

bodydub
Occasional Advisor

There is NOT an S100i Linux driver, if you want RAID you need to use the RAID features built into the OS
It did not work too. As I said - EVEN without raid in os and HP smart - cent os did not start from hard disk. I think this is HP injineers make this machine only for Windows systems

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Sorry you are having issues, but I can say for certain CentOS runs fine on a DL20 Gen10

[root@sandbox ~]# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)

[root@sandbox ~]# dmidecode -t 1
# dmidecode 3.1
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.1.1 present.

Handle 0x001C, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
        Manufacturer: HPE
        Product Name: ProLiant DL20 Gen10
        Version: Not Specified
        Serial Number: H I D D E N
        UUID: 30324c44-4143-4e43-3638-12345678911
        Wake-up Type: Power Switch
        SKU Number: DL20GEN10
        Family: ProLiant

You need to disable the S100i controller RAID mode and set it to SATA AHCI