Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartmontools

wobbe
Respected Contributor

Smartmontools

So, how good/usefull is smartmontools?

I installed smartmontools on a DL380G2 running Debian Lenny. I have 6 harddisks so I configured /etc/smartd.conf for 6 disks.
I've setup email and run smartctl for all disks to check their status. All disks are fine.

Now do run some tests and I pull one of the disks.
Running a status report with smartctl I find out that it's no longer showing me any information for disk 5. But I did not pull disk 5, I took out disk 3! So any smart warnings for disk 5 would have gotten me to replace disk 5 where infect I should have replaced disk 3. (I'm ignoring any status lights)

Hoping a restart of the smartd would trigger an allert I now stop the service. But now I notice that I can't start the service anymore.
As long as there is failed/missing disk the smartd won't start. It will also not start after a reboot.

So in case of an abrupt failure I don't get an email warning and after a restart I also lose smart monitoring for the rest of the disks.

So is smartmontool any good? Or should I start looking at other tools? And what other tools will work (stable) on Debian Lenny with the cciss controller?

perhaps try one of these:
http://cciss.sourceforge.net/#cciss_utils

7 REPLIES
Goran Koruga
Honored Contributor

Re: Smartmontools

Hello.

How did you configure the disks in smartd.conf?

Goran
wobbe
Respected Contributor

I disabled the DEVICESCAN and have six time the line below.

/dev/cciss/c0d0 -d cciss,X -a -s (L/../../7/02|S/../.././02) -m emailaddres@compagny.nl

(X = disk number 0-5)

Goran Koruga
Honored Contributor

Right, that would explain why it doesn't start.

Perhaps using '-d removable' will help.

Goran
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Hi Goran,

Are you suggesting replacing cciss with removable, perhaps adding removable between -d and cciss?
I've tried both but then the service wont start.

WB
Goran Koruga
Honored Contributor

Did you try it this way:

-d removable -d cciss ...

Goran
wobbe
Respected Contributor

That's better. I can now restart the smart daemon when a drive has been pulled.
Is there perhaps an option to get an email when a drive is missing/defective?
And how do I get those smartd.conf disk numbers to correlate with the numbers on the drive cage?
wobbe
Respected Contributor

It doesn't matter what hardrive you pull it's allways failing the smartctl check for number 5.
So for now I run the attached script every 15 minutes and that seems to work when a disk is missing/defect.
If anyone had a better idea or thinks there is a problem with this setup then please let me know.