108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: So long, fellas

SOLVED
Go to solution
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

So long, fellas

I'm not a daily poster but I've been following the ITRC forums almost each workday for many, many years and I didn't want to just make one last technical post and simply disappear. So I thought my last post would be to tell you that after 10 years of HP-UX system administration, I'm moving away to try new ventures.

The decision has been hard to make but is strictly business: my employer is offering me a better package if I move to a higher-level job. That means I have to stop being a technical geek if I want to gain a few bucks (and possibly start wearing a tie, but that's another story). It saddens me, but that's the way it is here, and I don't want to switch to another workplace.

I've met a lot of great people during my tenure as an HP-UX admin here in the forums, at the HPTF and other HP-related events. I think that's the part of the work I'll miss the most. But it is time to move on. Or, at least, try to. If I ever get homesick, I'll come back.

Thanks for all your help, and continue keeping the ITRC forums as a great source of information, help and insight for your peers.

Olivier S. Mass├й
16 REPLIES 16
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Olivier:

You will be missed, I'm sure. Good luck to you; stick your nose back in when you can and keep your hands dirty. May the road rise up to meet your feet.

Regards!

...JRF...
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up!
A nice pre-emptive answer for the eventual:
"I wonder what ever happened to..."

I for one always enjoyed your replies.
Be sure to stop by every now and then
Check out the leader board perhaps.

Cheers,
Hein
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Olivier,

That is indeed sad news for us. Hopefully it turns out to be very good new for you (other than the tie, that is). You've been a great asset to the Forums and will be truly missed. Best of luck and don't be a stranger - you can still keep involved a bit, even with a tie on (we won't laugh)!

Pete

Pete
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the help over the years. Im sure you'll find a way to geek your way to some answers as a manager.

I wish, many times, that managers came from a technical background. Life would be so much better here.

Good luck and thanks...
UNIX IS GOOD
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

I'm glad to hear that it is a step up that you are taking when so many are being laid off.

12% unemployment in NC where I had to relocate too. I see people standing on the corners begging.

At the same time I go into a fast food restuarant and every worker is an illegal alien.

In California, where I was born and raised in Berkeley, the number of homeless living in the hills crapping in people's front and back yards is staggering. The smell from sidewalks of million dollar homes is similar to the smell from waste treatment plants.

I drive by Welfare projects and they look like African villiages. And know that if it weren't for welfare payoffs the crime rate would be staggering.

Thousands of California teachers were laid off this week and last. My ex is a middle school teacher and I wonder if her head is also on the chopping block.

Again, I'm glad to hear your leaving to move up. Your story is an exception and a rarity in today's news.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Question: I wonder what ever happended to A Clay Stevensen? Have not seen a response from Clay for two years. Anyone know?
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Olivier,

I've enjoyed so many of your posts, so selfishly I hope you don't completely step away from the technical side.

My very best wishes to you!
Rita
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

I'm light years away from Clay's stature in the ITRC forums, but anyhow that's the reason why I voluntarily decided to say goodbye. Thanks for your comments.
Anshumali
Esteemed Contributor

All the best Olivier. Ironically, I am reverting to HP-UX in my new job role once again after 1 and half years of complete separation. I too felt Homesick and came back to Hp-Ux...Have been doing lots of Solaris stuff recently.
Being back in ITRC forums is giving me nice feeling already..... :)
Congrats for your new role...
Dreams are not which you see while sleeping, Dreams are which doesnt allow you to sleep while you are chasing for them!!