New Discussion

Re: Spooler stopped - scheduler not running

SOLVED
Go to solution
Omar Alvi_1
Super Advisor

Spooler stopped - scheduler not running

Hi,

I've fresh installed a system with HP-UX 11i. After installing Jet Direct, I restored the printer configurations to the new system using the transfewrqueue procedure.

Now, I can see all the printers in sam as well as in lpstat -t. However the scheduler isn't running.

When I run lpsched, it says scheduler is started but plstat -t shows otherwise. I have no SCHEDLCK, or FIFO files under /var/spool/lp. Neither any stale lpsched processes running.

Another thing I oted that the printers only show up in sam, but with all the fields "enabled to print", "accepting requests" etc. blank. And starting the spooler from some doesn't start it up ... shows status stopped.

The logfile gives the following errors.

***** STOPPED May 23 13:02 *****
lpsched: can't open request directory request/abdo_test/
FIFO: Destinations --
not busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busynot busy FIFO: Printers --
FIFO: J2400salesLB9 pid and id unknown
FIFO: K1100replshmB1 pid and id unknown
FIFO: R1000HRParoll pid and id unknown
FIFO: abdo_test pid and id unknown
FIFO: akhidir pid and id unknown
FIFO: alis_printer pid and id unknown
FIFO: djgitabap pid and id unknown
FIFO: ljgitabap pid and id unknown
FIFO: ljgitbasis pid and id unknown
FIFO: ljgitf3r12 pid and id unknown
FIFO: ljgitf7r3 pid and id unknown
FIFO: ljgithr pid and id unknown
FIFO: ljgitpmsmpp pid and id unknown
FIFO: ljgitrm1 pid and id unknown
FIFO: ljgitrm2 pid and id unknown
FIFO: ljgitrm3 pid and id unknown
FIFO: ramki pid and id unknown
FIFO: test1 pid and id unknown
FIFO: test5 pid and id unknown
FIFO: testf pid and id unknown
FIFO: testlp pid and id unknown
FIFO: trnjeddahl01 pid and id unknown
FIFO: Classes --
***** STOPPED May 23 13:28 *****

Appreciate any assistance

Thanks and Regards,

-Alvi

1 REPLY 1
Brad Marks
Super Advisor
Solution

Re: Spooler stopped - scheduler not running

Alvi,
While I'm not familiar with transferqueue, I would suggest checking if the system can see your defined printers when running hppi: By stating that you want to delete a printer, hppi will display existing printers -- are all of your printers there?

The first logfile message makes me think that transferqueue didn't bring the /var/spool/lp/request directory with it. Do you have that directory?

I'm guessing that the scheduler won't start because all components of your print queue are not there. What I have done in the past is simply copy the /var/spool/lp directory -- that's all I found was required to reconstitute my lp print queue.

Hope this helps,
Brad
It's not impossible -- it'll just cost more...