1753943 Members
9175 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Start-Up message garbled.

Bob Fohl
Contributor

Start-Up message garbled.

The message displayed on the console at startup time are not pretty like they were before I added some third party software and made kernel chanes.
They used to look something like....

System startup in progress

Start Citrixt MetaFrame ..............OK
Start Oracle ........................ OK
Start CDE login server .............. OK
etc,etc,etc

Now they aren't formated . Looks something like this.

.................................... Start
Citrix MetaFrame ...........OK ........
.............. Start Oracele ....................OK

etc, etc.

Not sure where to begin looking on this one??

3 REPLIES 3
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Start-Up message garbled.

Hello!

So problems in script that starts the deamons.

Caesar
Chris Vail
Honored Contributor

I'm just delighted that there's someone else in these forums that uses Citrix Metaframe for Unix. I was getting lonely.

I'll ask the obvious question: have you changed your terminal? Is this a green screen where somebody has changed the settings?

AFAIK: at this point in the boot process, this data is just dumped to the screen unformatted. Rather than mess with kernel parameters, I suggest changing terminals or web consoles, then see if the problem persists.

Chris
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The startup scripts are run by the script: /sbin/rc and a standard stty is run at the top of the script and should look like this:

/sbin/stty clocal icanon echo opost onlcr ixon icrnl ignpar 2> /dev/null

You might instrument /sbin/rc by reporting the stty values and also echo $LINES and $COLUMNS to see if they change sometime during the startup sequence. If the first few lines are OK and then they change, look at the scripts just before the problem. A likely cause is either an stty buried in a start/stop script, or a change to $LINES or $COLUMNS. This should produce nothing in a normal syste:

grep -e stty -e LINES -e COLUMNS /sbin/init.d/* /etc/rc.config.d/*

Bill Hassell, sysadmin