1753781 Members
7452 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Strange chars in HP smart update GUI.

linslus
Occasional Contributor

Strange chars in HP smart update GUI.

I'm about to install servicepack 8.70 on a rhel 5 server, when I running hpsum the GUI starts and is not so easy to understand ;-) see attached image..

How to solve this?
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Strange chars in HP smart update GUI.

You may be missing a X11 font package that includes the font used by hpsum GUI. The font package is required on the workstation that does the displaying, not on the server.

- If you started the hpsum GUI using some CLI, do you see any error messages about missing fonts in that CLI?

- If you started the session by using some desktop feature (menu/icon), find your X server's session log file on your local workstation: do you see any error messages about missing fonts?

The error messages should include the X font specification of the missing font. The font specifications are text strings like this:
-misc-fixed-*-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*

(This is the X font specification for a font named "fixed" of family "misc", size 14, Unicode character set.)

You might want to post the name of the missing font, since some of the basic X fonts are packaged together: the font name alone does not directly identify the package you need.

Or you might take the shotgun approach and install all the font packages available for your X server (Xming I think? :-)

MK
MK
klb
Valued Contributor

Re: Strange chars in HP smart update GUI.

I had a similar problem with Oracle's GUI installer across to windows on Xming.

I took the shotgun approach installing everything I could find ( about 3 packages ) for Xming fonts.

Problem went away. BTW, I had to do this on the PC where Xming was installed.

Hth,

-klb