cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange chars in HP smart update GUI.

linslus
Occasional Contributor

Strange chars in HP smart update GUI.

I'm about to install servicepack 8.70 on a rhel 5 server, when I running hpsum the GUI starts and is not so easy to understand ;-) see attached image..

How to solve this?
2 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Strange chars in HP smart update GUI.

You may be missing a X11 font package that includes the font used by hpsum GUI. The font package is required on the workstation that does the displaying, not on the server.

- If you started the hpsum GUI using some CLI, do you see any error messages about missing fonts in that CLI?

- If you started the session by using some desktop feature (menu/icon), find your X server's session log file on your local workstation: do you see any error messages about missing fonts?

The error messages should include the X font specification of the missing font. The font specifications are text strings like this:
-misc-fixed-*-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*

(This is the X font specification for a font named "fixed" of family "misc", size 14, Unicode character set.)

You might want to post the name of the missing font, since some of the basic X fonts are packaged together: the font name alone does not directly identify the package you need.

Or you might take the shotgun approach and install all the font packages available for your X server (Xming I think? :-)

MK
MK
klb
Valued Contributor

Re: Strange chars in HP smart update GUI.

I had a similar problem with Oracle's GUI installer across to windows on Xming.

I took the shotgun approach installing everything I could find ( about 3 packages ) for Xming fonts.

Problem went away. BTW, I had to do this on the PC where Xming was installed.

Hth,

-klb